Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. Lwinding

Lwinding Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the advice! My dad said he would help me buy a desktop computer and although it hasn't arrived yet, the specs are much better (4gb of RAM, E7400 intel processor, 500gb HDD, and although it comes with an integrated GMA graphics card, at least I can upgrade it).

This thread is amazing and people here are really friendly! I appreciate the thoughtful response but I think I will just stick to upgrading my RAM (as I already bought 1gig) on this laptop and use it for school work, while the desktop will be used for things like gaming.

Thank you, once again!

2. hotrippr

hotrippr Newbie

Reputations:
    "but on 7-25-08 i did get report of WINFLASH hanging durring verification step, when user killed all power it also killed his BIOS and maybe MORE... (lesson::: DO NOT REMOVE AC & BATTERY while PC is powered up, even if it seems locked up"

PLEASE HELP!!!! I read this little warning after my 5315 froze up and wouldnt shut down during a winflash error. Now I have nothing at all no leds, power, nothing!!!! Is it dead?

What I have tried:
    Different power outlet
    taking battery out and holding power button for a minute
    just leaving it alone for a day
    finally just gave it a light smack

Thank you for any help.

3. ///

/// Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi hotrippr,
    The first post of this thread has the answer you need, but here it is anyway:

ASPIRE 5315 BIOS RECOVERY using a USB THUMBDRIVE

Try to avoid this as much as possible, or you will slam the HDD's head(s) into its platter(s), then you will be smacking yourself!

4. hotrippr

hotrippr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you. But I believe it is dead, when I took the battery out while it was on I think I may have shorted out something.

5. rolsanchez213

rolsanchez213 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No your computer is probably not ruined I did the same thing, follow the directions from previous comment, If that does not work try to the cd strategy which is about the same. I've done this a couple of times the first time the computer turned on but showed a blinking cursor on a black screen (I used the usb method and it worked fine) the second time the computer did nothing when i hit the power button thats when I had to use the cd method because the usb method didn't work. Good luck if you need help post me and I will help.

6. rolsanchez213

Reputations:
    I feel stupid asking this question but is it better to upgrade the BIOS under vista or xp? The reason I ask is because every time I try to upgrade the BIOS my computer freezes during the process

7. stanny2k

stanny2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should only upgrade BIOS to whatever your operating system is...

If you run WinXP - download the XP one
    If you run WinVISTA - download the VISTA one

Just to add, I'm running Windows7 & I successfully updated to v.1.45 using the VISTA update.

8. hotrippr

hotrippr Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you use a cd if your laptop didn't do anything? I mean I haven't any power at all, can't even open the cd tray. Tried so many times today, still no luck.

9. rolsanchez213

Reputations:
    When you do the whole FN, Esc thing does the fan spin if not then your in trouble? Otherwise if the fan is spinning you should be able to open the cd drive and insert a cd.

10. rolsanchez213

Reputations:
    On the acer website it only has one version of 1.45 how do I know OS its for?
    By the way I went to the united states part of the website if that means anything.