Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. hoggie

hoggie old boy

Reputations:
    is the T7500 in yet ?:D

2. stanny2k

stanny2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not yet.
    I ordered it from someone called anonima1982 - http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/anonima1982/

Stupidly I ordered it and paid for it, then decided to read his reviews... If you take a look Im starting to get a little bit worried now...

I won the item on the 7th June - Aint heard anything from the guy, after I've sent him 3 messages..... Feeling pretty gutted at the moment...

3. stanny2k

Reputations:
    Oh look! After sending him a threatening email, I recieve an email from Paypal saying the item has been dispatched! Ill be in touch if it works! lol

4. stanny2k

Reputations:
    Wassup.
    T7500 delivered and installed.

Installation was easy (BigO - Legend). Even better when I didnt have to buy my own arctic paste, the geezer down the local computer shop gimmie a squirt of his (hrmmm that sounded dodgey lol)

The idle temp is running at 33% (Average). Does this seem right?

Also, should I format the laptop and reinstall Windows?

Windows 7 booted up fine, found the T7500, asked me to reboot and that was it.

Cheers.
    Ryan

p.s. my CPU socket was Pink.

5. groggx

groggx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Besides Ram, Cpu, and HDD upgrades that should about cover it. I am dual booting Vista and Windows 7 RC 32 bit right now on my 5315. Seems to work pretty good. Some of the Acer software for system back up and stuff will not work but that is to be expected. Overall runs really well with Windows 7. When Windows 7 final release is done hopefully should see software updates for Acer specific programs.

6. scottvl

scottvl Newbie

Reputations:
    hey guys great thread and it has inspired me to upgrade my 5720z. I purchased a t8100 on ebay should be here in a few days, Ive looked over this site and done days of google searching on upgrading the cpu on a 5720 and this thread has the most detailed acer laptop tutorials Ive found. I just wanted to know if any of you have done a cpu upgrade on the 5720 and if I should expect any surprises,
    thanks in advance

7. hoggie

hoggie old boy

Reputations:
    done a bit of research for you...the best (safe) cpu upgade would be a T3400 socket P. as this would be a straight swap and bios will support it as is.

as for the T8100 will get back to you:D

8. scottvl

scottvl Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the reply but I hope the t8100 will work it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I thought the 5720 had the same mb and bios as the 5300 series?

9. Lwinding

Lwinding Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, everyone. I am very sorry if I am being too noobish or if I haven't read up enough on this subject. I just need some advice on what to do.

I bought this Acer Aspire 5315-2639 on Black Friday 2008 and I had no idea it was so upgradable, so finding this thread was really fortunate! Up until now I had no problems with the laptop the way it is, and I still have no real problems with it, I just can't play video games I want.

I am an incoming freshman to college and I just need this laptop for word processing and excel and such but I would also like to be able to play games like The Sims 3 (hey, any other cool things I could do with this laptop are welcome!).

I've already downloaded The Sims 3 on my computer to see if it would run as is, but unfortunately the game is waaay too slow to actually play.

Sorry for the long story, but here's my situation: this would be my first time changing a CPU on a computer and upgrading RAM on a laptop. I have about 400 bucks to spend on this upgrade and I want to make my Aspire 5315 as good as it can be with US$400. Which processor should I buy that would play The Sims 3 perfectly?

Another quick question: I'm pretty sure I can't upgrade my graphics card (can I?), but would upgrading my CPU and my RAM make the graphics of a game better, like could I set the graphics settings to a higher setting than they are right now, which are the lowest possible settings?

Any and all help are appreciated, you can e-mail me at lwinding@hotmail.com if you would rather PM me.

Thank you!

10. awong

awong Newbie

Reputations:
    Lwinding,

Upgrading your CPU will not help much, if at all, with intensive 3D graphics Windows games, as the bottleneck would be your graphics card, and not the chip. I've just upgraded my CPU to a T9300 (very nice, and no cooling problems with the 1.45 bios) and it made no difference for Direct-X games with Vista.

Having said that, downgrading to XP made a noticeable difference in speed for myself - your experience may differ. It wasn't miraculously faster, but I was able to play 3D games at the lowest settings. Remember, this isn't a gaming laptop. [However, dual booting using Linux (Linux Mint 7), you will find that 3D open source Linux games run fairly quickly, but it won't make a difference for Windows games.]

For other uses besides gaming, with $400 (USD?) I would upgrade your CPU, RAM, and HDD to whatever you can afford. Just make sure you buy a socket P chip and not a variant. Don't forget your thermal compound for your CPU heatsink. And if you are venturous, downgrade to XP Pro SP2 (other better still, use Linux).

Cheers!