Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. ambertape

ambertape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I read the instructions on upgrading a 5315 and they are very good. I would like to know how to make a bootable cd with 1.33 bios file. The bios file is 1480831 bytes and this is larger than a regular floppy which is 1457664 bytes. I tried making a bootable cd, was successful but after it booted it asked for 1. floppy. I prefer to use DOS than Windows. Kindly list the steps. I use Roxio Creator 2009 software.
    Thanks

2. ///

/// Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. skitzydude

skitzydude Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there, I just joined up to this forum just to get help on getting the most out of upgrade my 5315. I'm actually surprised as to how upgrade-friendly this notebook is.

I have maxed out the recommended RAM capacity to 2GBs, and I need to ask if it is possible to max it out further. I cannot tell by what certain people are saying on the forum, so I would rather know first-hand.

I also currently have an Intel C2D T8100 on its way. Very stupid questions (considering I've already paid for it), but is it absolutely certain that I am able to replace the CPU with the new one without problems. If there are general problems that arise with CPU change on this brand of laptop (i.e. overheating or BSoD) is it still possible to deal with these problems?

4. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. 5315 can take 3GB of RAM max in certain slot/stick combo. I don't remember the combination so you'll have to move the sticks around for a bit.

2. Yeah T8100 should work without problem with BIOS v1.29 and above. You shouldn't experience overheating and/or BSODs. Keep in mind that no one here will tell you that he's absolutely certain about anything. If you want to be a 100% sure it's better to call a certified technician:)

5. mutt_lee

mutt_lee Newbie

Reputations:
    Lo guys great forum been having trouble with lappy for ages now found this and decided to upgrade chip.iv installed a t7300 do i have format or can i just leave it like it is now???oh im running xp sp3 at the mo

thx Lee

6. skitzydude

skitzydude Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. Is there anything else worth upgrading on the laptop? And what does anyone recommend about installing Windows 7 beta on the 5315?

7. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No need to format, your laptop should recognize the new CPU and continue to work as before but you know, a little faster:D
    Yeah I'd suggest a HDD upgrade - 320GB 7200rpm if possible. W7 should work fine.

8. stanny2k

stanny2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all.
    Just to let you know Ive installed Windows 7 (Build 7127 x86)

Running sweet. Ive added the gadget (CPR & RAM Usage) - CPU running at 2%, RAM running at 50-55% constantly. I havent touched any upgrades on the laptop yet, so its still manufacturers hardware.

:)

Edit:
    Just ordered :
    Kingston ValueRAM 2Gb DDR2 667MHz SODIMM Memory
    Kingston ValueRAM 1Gb DDR2 667MHz SODIMM Memory

Should drop that 50-55% down a touch. Will let you know.

Edit:
    RAM Delivered :

RAM usage has dropped to approx 15-20% now... Everything running smooth.
    Dont forget, I'm still only running at 1.6 standard CPU. Will upgrade soon as be back to let u know.

God. Windows 7 r0x!

Processor (T7500) Ordered - £46.00 from eBay - Bargin!
    Awaiting delivery!
    Ooooh this is so 'effing exciting!! hahaha!

9. zedoctor

zedoctor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i had win xp on my 5315 was awesome.
    i recommend windows 7, and i hated vista.

i'm using about 42~% memory at the moment with 2 gig memory. ( i have a lot of programs open).

i'm running windows 7 build 7100 64bit version

10. stanny2k

stanny2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^^^ Update ^^^