Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. chipper13101

chipper13101 Newbie

Reputations:

You're right ATG. For anyone looking for a smokin' little 15 inch notebook, I'd say get your hands on one of these from ebay, make these upgrades, and you've got a machine that will do everything you'll need for the next 5 years.

cheers. :D

2. frnmcneil

frnmcneil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a few questions as to be sure I am doing things right.

I have an acer aspire 5315-2326. I have downloaded windows xp and will burn it to cd as i want to delete vista.

These are the steps i think i am supposed to do after perusing the threads and please correct me if i am wrong as i've never attempted to upgrade a laptop except for memory. i have purchased a t8300 oem cpu, 2gigs of memory and an internal sata harddrive.

1. create vista os discs from harddrive in case of later use.
    2. save and burn any files from my harddrive that i want to use on xp.
    3. update bios to 1.43
    4. install cpu
    5. install harddrive
    6. install memory (in that order?)

this may be too simplistic and i'm missing some steps. i did read you should burn the windows xp software with compatible modem or harddrive drivers, otherwise the bios cannot read it???

please nitpick my steps freely and add anything i may be missing as i said this is my first attempt at upgrading and this is the only computer i have at this time.

i want to be sure i am not unaware of any important details and am not missing any crucial information or steps. i am not very computer literate so the more detailed or simple the explanation the easier it will be for me to understand or locate what i need.

thanks a lot!

a

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The steps you've described are fine though the order of installing a CPU/HDD/RAM is not important, for example you can install the RAM first then the CPU etc, it doesn't matter which goes first. The first 3 steps are fine.

About XP installation you'll need to slipstream a SATA driver into your XP installation CD otherwise XP won't see your hard disk and will not install. If you don't know how to do that an excellent guide can be found here. If you think slipstreaming a driver is too complicated for you or for some reason you don't want to or have the time to do it then just go into the BIOS(F2 on boot) and switch the HDD option from AHCI to IDE. This way XP will install normally, no need to modify the installation media.
    By the way Acer do NOT provide XP drivers for Aspire 5315 but I think you can get all the drivers from that slipstreaming link I gave you. Basically all the info you need is in the first post of this thread.

4. bodes-sh

bodes-sh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just thought i'd stick my head back in. had my t8100 in for about 8 months now. all is going great, the only other thing i have done since is put in a 250gb hdd. very glad i found this thread, and thanks for everyone's help. currently on the lookout for a cpu to suit a gl40 chipset in a compaq, those dual core celerons are ok, but don't have speedstep, which chews the battery up pretty quick.

anyway, thanks again...

5. hoggie

hoggie old boy

Reputations:
    for the gl40 you can use a Pentium T3400.and 4gb of ram thats the max that chipset can handle:D

never fear the Hog is here:D

Phil:D

6. frnmcneil

frnmcneil Newbie

Reputations:
    i want to replace the optical drive. does it matter what brand or specs it is or will just any laptop drive work??

it will be used and doesn't have a face plate.

now i'm assuming it must have an sata connector. the ones i look at on ebay don't specify.

doesn't front bezel have to match?

what do i need to look for?

thanks

7. frnmcneil

frnmcneil Newbie

Reputations:
    this step by step guide sucks. it's all over the place and not step by step at all.

where is the directions for installing harddrive or do you have to sift through one hundred posts for that info?

or the optical drives and related info?

pfft

8. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a step-by-step CPU guide which, of course, has nothing to do with the hard drive or the optifcal drive. If you need help with HDD or ODD please create another thread, don't hijack this one.
    Though with that attitude I doubt that anyone of the Acer crowd will help you out.

9. frnmcneil

frnmcneil Newbie

Reputations:
    you are right. i am sorry.. i was just reading a lot of tidbits of different info here and there so i assumed it would be on this thread.

10. rolsanchez213

rolsanchez213 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I don't know if I shouldn't be asking this question under this thread, but can anyone help me update my bios. Every time I try to update it stops and the computer freezes. I closed every program I know and it still does it. Can anyone tell me how to do it using the dos way because I think that is the only way I'm going to get this to work. If someone can please help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks.