Aspire 5315 CPU Step-by-Step Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Acer' started by bigozone, May 20, 2008.

1. Endriu

Endriu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!
    Now I'm a proud owner of a T5550 cpu :)
    It's works fine... now I only have to upgrade my RAM...
    Thanks to all!
    Ciao:)!!!

2. chipper13101

chipper13101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Congrats Endriu! Having used the T5550 in my first upgrade, I know it's a huge improvement over the Celeron. This is now one smokin' hot little machine! (Don't forget that the 2gb dimm goes in the top slot). Cheers! chip.

3. ///

/// Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice one Endriu!!

I just won a T7500 for $117.50 (~US$80)
    Not too bad a price, have seen lesser CPU's go for more.
    Now I have to wait for delivery :/

Honestly didn't think I would win, so had placed a bid on a T5450 too!
    I bid $30, it's sitting on $2.25 now, but there's still 5 days to go on that one so hopefully someone will outbid me.
    I hope so anyway! .... there's another T5450 with a BIN price of $49.95, no one has bought that.

Was looking at some X7900 and X9000's too, they were all ES chips..... even though they have final-release steppings I didn't trust 'em.
    Besides, the seller's likely got them very cheap (or even free)... there's no way I'm giving them US$300+ for an ES!

4. Chrizzzie

Chrizzzie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I'm owning an Aspire 5315. I however have some performance issues with the laptop.

I'm using it rather a lot in combination with Flash Media Encoder which results in a rather high CPU (average 80%) which makes it crash after a while. (Screen is'nt black but it's frozen and the red processor LED is burning constantly)

I downloaded a program which measures the temperature of my laptop. At one time it crashed when the temperature was 64c but it also crashed when it was 54c.

I cleaned the fan on the rear bottom side but now I've heard that there's another fan beside the CPU? Where can I find a guide how to clean this one? It seems the keyboard needs to be dismantled for this.

Furthermore how can I upgrade my laptop so that the CPU assuage will decrease? Does memory upgrade help a bit or is everything rather prospectless due to the single core processor?

5. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi, welcome to NBR.

1. Your temperatures are fine, 55-65ºC is nothing, especially considering the fact that your 5315 probably have a Celeron.
    2. There isn't a second fan in Aspire 5315. Actually most of the laptops come with one fan only, only high-end laptops for like 2000 bucks or more have more fans.
    3. You should be able to upgrade to any Core 2 Duo Socket P with max FSB 800Mhz . Since you're doing intensive CPU tasks, the CPU upgrade is highly recommended. T7500 or even better - T8300 will make a huge difference performance-wise.
    4. Memory upgrade might help too. How much RAM do you have now? Aspire 5315 can take up to 3GB in certain "slot configuration". If you have 2GB though I wouldn't bother upgrading the RAM.

6. Chrizzzie

Chrizzzie Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Much quicker than this is'nt possible I guess :)

First of all I'm using a Celeron processor and have 2 GB.

I opened the laptop and there's quit some dust in there. I don't know if this could explain the crash problems. As you're saying the temperature is fine, what else could explain the crash down?

Maybe I should try installing the latest firmware as I read somewhere about fan control issues with old firmware's.

How difficult is a CPU upgrade? I've got some IT skills but not extensive. And how much does a 2core processor cost? (A quick search saw about € 250,-)

7. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The crash...could be cause by any software or hardware, I really can't say more without any error codes or something - more details.

Yes, overheating can cause crashes, slowdowns etc but your temps seem fine...

Yes, Aspire 5315 has known problems caused of some BIOS versions so flashing to the latest BIOS might solve your current problem. You might need to flash to the latest BIOS anyway if you decide to upgrade the CPU.

CPU upgrade in laptops nowadays, especially in Aspire 5315, is very easy, you don't need to be an expert at all. Check the first page of this thread for a CPU upgrade guide.
    Prices...it depends. Where are you buying it. Used or new? I'd recommend you look at ebay some used CPUs, you can probably find T8300 for 100-150 euros..

By the way, buying ES(engineering sample) CPUs is NOT recommended.

8. ///

/// Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sweet.
    T7500 cpu arrived today so I dropped her in. All is good.
    5315 with 3GB ram and T7500 all for $500(~US$350), nice.
    Might start playing with undervolting.
    Anyone need a Celery M540? :D

Bought a USB DVB-t receiver from work, it works mint.
    Have been recording HD tv.... recorded 10 hours straight of the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix(was at work while it was on)
    so now I'm looking at HDD's!! lol.

9. groggx

groggx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the excellent leg work on all of your behalfs, I just upgraded my Acer 5315 to a T5750. Could not find a T7300 or better at the time for a good price. This forum ROCKS!!! Keep up the good work. Now I have to upgrade the wifes 5315 as she is envious of mine. LOL.

Thanks again to all...

10. ///

/// Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Grogg, don't forget the RAM, I found the RAM to make the most noticeable performance difference of all.

Edit: Anyone swapped their DVD drive to a Blu-ray yet?
    hmmmmm, not having much luck finding one for laptops.