Asking for a friend, which one?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Chowda289, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Powerspec 1710 vs Overpowered 17"?

Edit: Here are the links:
    Overpowered and Powerspec

If you have other suggestions, please share them.

My friend wants to try to get an awesome gaming laptop for $1000 (which I've explained is hard to find), but she's willing to spend up to $1800. I was concerned the GTX 1060 won't fully utilize the 144hz screen in the Overpowered laptop. I also told her that, if she can afford it, she's better off trying to get a GTX 1070 or even 1080.

I know Clevo makes good chassis, but I don't really know what else to recommend to her...she's leaning towards a 17" screen. FYI, she's been looking at MSI too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Chowda289

Reputations:
  3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have done thorough testing on both of these laptops. Both are really good deals, but I am partial to the OP. In my experience it just more pleasant to use. Granted, the PowerSpec has a more premium chassis, but that didn't necessarily translate into comfort of use. If all you (i.e. your friend) want is high framerates, go with the PowerSpec. If you want a cooler, quieter machine go with the OP.

I might even argue considering the Eluktronics Mech 17 with the 2060 though, for just a little more than the cost of the PowerSpec. Dave2D even likes it, shocking.

4. Chowda289

Reputations:
    @Installed64 Thanks. Does the OP have copper pipes for cooling? From what I've seen, it looks like plastic? My friend read that the power cord for the OP doesn't connect or plugin well (according to LaptopMag.) Did you have this issue?

Any other similar laptops you recommend?

I didn't really know if I should still recommend the Clevo P950 series or P750 series or if there are better models out now.

5. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The OP is out of stock right now, but that doesn't mean they won't receive a few more. My version of that laptop definitely has all copper heatpipes, but the black finish on top of the pipes hides that fact. I have read a ton of reviews on the model, and that LaptopMag article was the only one I saw with issues.

You can't go wrong with MSI GE73 or GP73 with a GTX 1070, or the GL73 with an RTX 2060, I would recommend these in addition to the Eluktronics Mech 17. I don't know much about the 8th gen. and RTX Clevos, so I can't comment.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Just a note to help you with reviews the Powerspec 1710 is a Clevo PA71HS, and the OP is the TongFang GK7CN6S.

Also note the cpu difference, it'll matter if you play some of the more cpu intensive games. An 8750H is much faster than a 7700HQ.

7. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    make sure to check N950TP+gtx1060:
    https://www.amazon.com/N950VR-i7-8700-i9-8950HK-Notebook-Computer/dp/B079N77LMM?th=1
    there is also 2019 updated version : N960TP+rtx2060 + 16.1" :
    https://www.one.de/one-gaming-notebook-k61-8nb-e-nvidia-rtx
    and the newer version with rtx2070 and again desktop cpu+16.":
    https://www.one.de/one-gaming-notebook-k61-8nb-f-frei-anpassen

16" makes weight more balanced as well more than 17" ones.
    all of these are Dekstop cpu's ,so you can tame the temps and overall improve it much better than 8750H for example,not to mention get higher performance and probably,if intel release a cpu based on z370 this year too,then you are in luck to upgrade it even further...you can also install 8700T 35W which performs around 8750H(when throttling),i5 8400 at best without the temps issues the mobile cpu's had.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. Chowda289

Reputations:
    @Installed64 Okay. That's great! Thanks! Her budget is pretty large $1000 USD to $1800 USD. I told her she needs to narrow it down. She's kind of hung up on the new RTX graphics cards...but I told her there was some debate going on whether or not they are significantly better than the GTX and worth the extra money. She's also looking at the MSI GS75. She's not really interested in any MSI series less than the S series. o_O

@Galm Yeah, I did notice the differences. :)

@amirbahalegharn Thanks for the suggestions! ;) I didn't know they had desktop cpus; definitely, something to look into. I noticed your other links are a reseller in Germany? I'll see if I can find the models in the USA. As for the Clevos, aren't the P series supposed to be better than the N series?

I actually found a great deal for the Tongfang GK5CQ7Z (15.6" + i7-8750h+rtx2070 Max-Q) for $1400 USD. I did notice that it doesn't have G-synch, Optimus, or Thunderbolt...not sure if those are deal-breakers. Also, I'm unsure if it's a deal my friend should jump on, considering the price Walmart has had for the Overpowered laptops. I'm kind of hoping Walmart will offer it with the i9 and RTX 2070 soon.

9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Based on the price point Walmart hit that looked like a fire sale (from the horrible press OP desktops got). I can't imagine they were making any amount of profit at those prices. 1400 for a 2070 max q is quite a good price.