Ask the Resellers! Questions to Reseller Thread.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Of course. XMG PRO 17 (Mid 2019) is here to help: https://bestware.com/de/xmg-pro-17.html

Are they really sure about that? I will ask them directly.
    That panel might fit and the connector of the mainboard might be mechanically compatible. But the pin-layout and IC drivers are still different.
    These days, we have a seperate cable P/N for EVERY panel model name, even if they are all in 40-pin and mechanically identical.

Told you! :)

Where are they available? Do you have a panel model name?
    Please also provide source for the "$100" price indication. We would like to know.

Have you tried VR?
    Flight and Racing Simulators... Space Pirate Trainer...

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

MiSJAH likes this.
  2. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe with those new 4K OLEDs a manufacturer may take up this market again, but I'm recalling when MSI released a 4K GS60 with a 960M in it, and for a combination of reasons it didn't really take off and they killed it. But those reasons were more like "people doing that kind of work usually bought something else" and the "people who bought it did so with incorrect expectations about what it did and didn't like it" and not "manufacturer ignoring large and important market segment for that specific configuration".

3. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even when the hardware of the MSI was correct, if it wasn't marketed for what it could be used for (photography), then I'm not surprised people didn't buy it. Perhaps gamers looked at the display, thought that it would be great for gaming, and were disappointed. Have you ever seen a notebook marketed for use with Photoshop etc.\? I haven't.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Yes, I am. In fact I called them to ask if they has something of a notebook that I was looking for, and they pointed this one out to me. Here is the web site where you can configure it (they use their own type number of course):

https://bto.eu/product/v•book-17cl817/

It's in Dutch, but you will understand it.

That's wonderful, what a f**k up.
    That was about a year ago, At the time I contacted a German supplier, and they offered the B173ZAN01.0, which is 100% Adobe RGB. Unfortunately they changed their business to offering foils on displays (anti-glare etc.), it seems they stepped out of repairing display business.
    The price was less then $100 more than a 'normal' display, I was surprised by the low prices.
    I just checked for the price of a B173ZAN01.0, and it is available for $156 at Amazon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's exactly the panel that is still being used in P775TM and which I referred to in my last post. Clevo is sourcing these panels directly from the factory with very high quality demand, but I'm sure they are making some margin on it.
    Low prices for such panels on 3rd party sources (you cited $156 at Amazon) often come from leftover batches there were screened out for dead pixels. The higher the number of pixels in your panel, the higher your risk of having a dead one. It's not covered under warranty but still annoying.
    At any rate, this is usually a relatively unstable way of sourcing for a mid-sized manufacturer like us.

Thanks for pointing it out, I will have another look.
    Meanwhile, Computex starts tomorrow and I'm attending. I might not be super responsive in here until June 3.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

6. grunnsat

Reputations:
    I get that, but I saw many other companies offering this panel for prices up to around € 200.
    If you order these panels from Clevo, then you can be sure that there is a hefty extra margin. Sometimes when you order components directly from the manufacturer, you can save up to 90% (real experience) in extreme cases.

Anyway, it would be nice if Clevo could come up with a list of all notebooks that can support this panel, even if they can't be ordered directly from Clevo.
    I hope you have an interesting time on the Computex.

7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Not from MSI, though those P series models are implied that that's what they're for. Maybe they'll get one of those really nice new panels in those if there's enough interest.

8. grunnsat

Reputations:
    I looked at the top model, the 17.3 inch P75. Unfortunately just a normal 1920 x 1080 display with 100% sRGB, not 100% Adobe RGB., let alone 4k :tears:

9. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    They seem pretty popular this time around, I'm hoping for some diversification in display options in newer models.

10. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Perhaps Clevo will use the new Ice Lake U CPUs in new notebooks with 4k displays. It seems Intel is targeting the high-end versions of these CPUs to high-end notebooks. Perhaps not for gaming, but I really wonder hows many notebooks are actually used for gaming.