Ask the Resellers! Questions to Reseller Thread.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not sure what this was meant to be. Did you have a question for the Resellers or experience you would like to share?

2. Yenzen

Yenzen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I posted in the wrong thread and couldn't delete it.

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    No worries. Wanted to be sure in case you had something to share. Thanks!

4. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to buy a new 17 inch Clevo with a 4k high gamut screen. However, I don't need some ridiculously fast gaming laptop, I want to use it for photo editing. What is the cheapest 17 inch Clevo that has such a display, OR what is the cheapest Clevo where the display can be replaced by a 4k high gamut display? The displays themselves are not very expensive,

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Closest thing that comes to mind is the PB51RC: 4K, 100% NTSC, AMOLED - but it's a 15.6" screen and comes with a GTX 1660Ti.

6. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    The last "moderately fast" laptop with such a panel AUO B173ZAN01.0 (17.3" 4K with 100% sRGB, 88% AdobeRGB) was the PA71HP6 (SCHENKER COMPACT 17, 2018 model) with i7-8750H and GTX 1060. Is this already "ridiculously fast"?

It would be interesting to find out if this panel could be assembled into an N870EJ1 (XMG A707) with GTX 1050. If the LCD cable would fit, if the VBIOS would be able to drive the panel.

@grunnsat You could use an NVIDIA GPU for CUDA in Photoshop. What's the lowest level of GPU speed that you're looking for?

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    FTW_260 likes this.
  7. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Let me explain the problem I'm facing.

I always use the raw images from my camera as input in Affinity Photo (an excellent replacement for Photoshop). I then work with settings like exposure, contrast, highlights/shadows etc. to get the best image. For that kind of work I would like to use a 4k high gamut display for the best control over what I'm trying to achieve. Unfortunately all notebook manufacturers seem to think that a 4k high gamut display should only be used in very expensive and fast high end notebooks. All these companies are focused on GAMING, and guess what, I'm not into gaming. I just want a good quality notebook with good connections, 32GB of memory, and a 4k high gamut display. No desktop processor or high end graphics, I don't need that. I'm sure there are many other customers who would like such a notebook, but Clevo and others just don't seem to understand that there is a market for such notebooks.

My present seven year old Clevo notebook has Intel HD4000 graphics on the CPU, and a Nvidia GTX 675M graphics card. With the Nvidia control panel I've set the Nvidia card to be the primary graphics card. It doesn't work, the control panel still tells me that the Intel HD4000 is the primary GPU. In fact I doubt if the Nvidia card has ever been used, I did not miss it. I suppose that even the GPU of some of today's high end mobile CPUs would be enough for me with a 4k display, But a notebook without a separate graphics card is impossible to get, you must have one installed.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hi @grunnsat

understood. I think the manufacturers understand your demand, but that market (high price, low performance) is just relatively small and mostly occupied by Apple.

The technical hurdle is in the eDP connection of the internal display. Most UMA laptops (that's what we call laptops without dedicated graphics) only come with a 30-pin eDP-Port because that's the port all 1080p@60Hz displays have.

If you want to go 4K, you need a 40-pin eDP Port on the mainboard. This needs to be planned into the motherboard from the beginning. Since 40-pin is not down-compatible to 30-pin, you need to put both connectors on the mainboard. This wastes space and makes the mainboard slightly more expensive, even for customer who don't buy the 4K panel. This is a lot of additional effort with very little reward. You'll never know how many people in the end will actually take the 4K panel, which have been prohibitively expensive until recently. That 17.3" 4K panel with 100% AdobeRGB is currently still $240 more expensive in purchasing, compared to the 1080p panel.

Let's talk about your P170EM for a minute.

Has your P170EM never used the NVIDIA GPU? Easy to find out. It does not matter which GPU is "Primary" and what not. In the NVIDIA Control Center you can select for each application, which GPU it should be running on.
    You can also double-check by using the NVIDIA GPU Actvitiy Monitor.

NVIDIA Control Panel -> Desktop -> Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

Anyway... Affinity Photo apparantly does not use CUDA, indeed. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom use it though.

Now back to your new purchase: I checked with our service team. The 4K panels are not compatible with the UMA laptops because of the aforementioned eDP connection issue.

We have exactly one unit left of PA71HP6 with this famous AUO B173ZAN01.0 panel with 100% sRGB.
    When that is out, it will only continue to be available in the more hardcore P775TM chassis.
    All the newer laptops don't support it. No panel vendor has bothered yet to build a 17.3" 4K panel with Narrow Bezel. And Narrow Bezel is all the rage now, so all of our new laptops have converted.

/edit Update: actually, on second look, AUO B173ZAN01.0 might be physically compatible with Narrow Bezel laptops. I will check with Clevo if they have any plan to support it in NH70, PB71 and P970. But that's a long shot and might take quite a while.

If you're interested in this PA71HP6 with i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060 (Stock SKU: 20104226), we can make you an offer.

Maybe you want to pick up Gaming at some point? I can recommend Dark Souls... runs great on GTX 1060. :)

Cheers
    XMG|Tom

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. mollu

mollu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I want buy PB71RF-G (9gen, rtx2070).
    It's available? On stock?

10. grunnsat

Reputations:
    Actually those 4k panels are not that expensive. So 'normal' notebooks for home use with a 4k panel really don't have to be that more expensive, not even $100 more than a 'normal' home notebook, at least those are the prices I saw. They should be explicitly marketed as notebooks specifically meant for photo editing. How many people buy programs like Photoshop Elements, or Affinity Photo, or others, to edit the photos made with their digital cameras? Why can't they buy a Windows notebook for their hobby? Macs are expensive, and technically not very different from rather cheap Windows notebooks. In my view it is just the gaming blindness of producers and resellers that prevent them form seeing this market.
    I learned from my reseller (BTO) that the N871EZ can be equipped with a 4k panel. The problem is that this notebook has a i5-8300H cpu or a i7-8750 cpu, and both have the UHD630 GPU. That UHD630 GPU is about 30% more powerful then my present HD4000 GPU, but it has 400% more pixels to support, not a good balance. So I asked if the i7-8559U cpu with the much more powerful Iris Plus Graphics 655 could be used, but alas the CPUs are soldered to the motherboard, and can not be replaced. As far as I know there is no Windows notebook with this CPU, only MAC notebooks and Intel mini PCs.

Yes, I get a similar result, so the Nvidia card is obviously being used. Rather silly that the Control Panel shows that the HD4000 is being used.
    Yes, but full blown Photoshop is expensive. Intel has something similar as CUDA, and I once read a test between the both, and the Intel results were much better in quality. I suppose OpenCL could be used for programs like Photoshop to make them independent from specific graphics brands.

I think I would like a 100% Adobe RGB display, and these are available.
    That would be nice to know!
    I think I'll wait until I can get a 100% Adobe RGB (or better) display.
    I'm retired, even a few decades ago when you could get games for a 80486 CPU, I failed to see the fun in playing games :)

Thanks very much for your reply, and I hope you will get the information from Clevo.