Ask the Resellers! Questions to Reseller Thread.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I doubt you will find anyone else that builds the EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM-R with the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 that will warrant it for the 2nd and 3rd year without additional cost. Since Clevo won't warranty it, they system builder has to. Heck, can you even find anyone building the 870 with the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080?

"...no hidden tricks warranty to boot. " I have to say this is a bit of a stretch, given that the warranty is not only published on our website, but also clearly stated on the Customizer:
    • 1 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - Warranty covers Laptop Including GPU
    • 2 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - Warranty covers Laptop Including GPU for 1st year, covers Laptop LESS GPU for 2nd year +$250.00
    • 3 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - Warranty covers Laptop Including GPU for 1st year, covers Laptop LESS GPU for 2nd and 3rd year +$450.00
    • 2 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - Warranty covers Laptop Including GPU +$750.00
    • 3 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support - Warranty covers Laptop Including GPU +$1,500.00
    Yes, it is expensive to warranty these GPU’s, but if you want to play at this level, there is a price to pay.

@jmorvay , we believe we deliver a better product, together with better Tech Support and Warranty Service, and our customers tend to agree, so we don’t price match. There is a reason we have the reputation we do, and we work hard to maintain it.

When you order with any changes to the original manufacturer’s stock configuration or choose any service options from us, we will perform a full quality check – ensure latest stable BIOS firmware and drivers are installed, burn in stress testing for temperature, benchmark testing to ensure it is performing to standard, keyboard and touchpad test, check of ports for functionality, display check for abnormalities, and a physical check of the chassis for blemishes. You can also make notes to the technician if you would like us to look for something specific. A product that passes through our hands has a much lower chance of DOA (defect on arrival).

Here is what we do for Q.C. testing:

Stress testing and Benchmarks:
    Firestrike/Time Spy
    PassMark/Performance test
    AIDA64 Extreme
    HDtunepro (for SSDs/HDDs)
    Memtest86
    Testmem5

Monitoring software:
    HWiNFO64
    GPU-Z
    MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner Statistics Server

We also do at least 30mins-1hr of intense online gaming at Ultra settings with high end games for those with a heavy build and mods.

However, I do understand if the initial price is determinative, and you do not place more value on what we deliver at HIDevolution.com, you must make the best deal you can.

Please feel free to email me at Donald@HIDevolution.com or email me your phone number and I can call you between 4:00 PM and 1:00 AM GMT (9 AM and 6 PM PDT) - Monday through Friday - to discuss any other questions you might have.

Papusan likes this.
  2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    None taken. :cool: It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want and what you are able/willing to spend at this point. Don't shy away from talking with sellers directly before pulling the trigger.

Donald@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  3. jmorvay

jmorvay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That goes right back to what i stated above. I do see others building these new systems with the RTX2080 and offer 1,2 or 3 year warranties, but leave out anything about whether or not the gpu is included in the warranty. If it's come down to the highcost of the gpu (for replacement by the builder and whether they get compensated for the bad component) and being the new normal for warranties that cover everything but the gpu, then I may have to rethink everything.

Donald, I don't doubt your capabilities or the capabilities of your company, not one bit. I understand that you guys have a great reputation as well. My "beef" is with the component manufacturer, in that if something goes wrong with what they create, they deserve the burden of standing up to the quality of the product, correct? THIS is the main reason why I am looking for a new machine because the GTX 1080 in my current machine, started to tank due to faulty capacitors on the card. My computer is no longer under warranty, so I would have the burden of cost to replace the card, if I so chose to do so. As for HIDevolution adding on the extra cost to cover the possibility of a gpu failure during the warranty term, is something you are well within your right to do, but it is stickershock to some who invest quite a bit into the system as it is, with hopes that purchasing a long-term warranty will help ease the financial burden later if something were to occur.

That being said though, I still have a lot more to look into with a new system.

4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, it was a bit of a sticker shock for us as well, but it only applies to the EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM-R because neither Clevo, nor NVIDIA, have more than a 1 Year Warranty on this product.

Can you link me to one other Clevo system integrator that is selling the P870TM1 with the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 that offers a 2 or 3 year warranty on it?

5. jmorvay

Reputations:
    Prior to buying (I gave up and ordered a new system) the NP-9176-G3 (which I believe is the P870TM-1), I verified with the builder (and am keeping the communication to protect myself) that their warranty will cover everything in the system, and it was stated that they do, barring any physical or abusive damage. In fact, a couple of sellers that I combed over their warranty terms, never mention a limited or shortened warranty on their Clevo-based system, Xotic PC is one and the other is Sager. I won't make mention of who I bought from, to avoid any conflicts and protect the integrity of the business.

6. jmorvay

Reputations:
    Ugh, nevermind, I just realized that the P870 is not the same one as I just bought. From what I can tell, the P870TM-1 is a refresh of the laptop I currently own. The one I bought (NP9176-G3) is newer, or I can only assume a next gen model of the P870TM-1, as they got rid of SLI, reconfigured the M2 drive bays (dropped one).

7. sidworld

sidworld Newbie

Reputations:
    Sager's NP-9176-G3 is actually P775TM1-G not P870TM. Also, P775 existed when Clevo was selling the P870 (P870 was Sager's NP-9877). It's just that Clevo has stopped production of P870 models. The difference between the two other than the extra M.2 slot is that the P870 is capable of supporting dual graphics cards - either in SLI configuration (for the 10 series and below) or as separate components which the P775 cannot. Following this fact, the P870 is a much bigger chassis, has a vapor chamber, and offers far superior cooling and mods which I believe may be needed in keeping a hot chip like the i9 9900k under ambient, acceptable, temperatures.

The P870 is now EOL since NVidia has stopped supporting SLI configuration for the 20 series graphics cards. The only way to get hold of a P870 laptop with an RTX 2080 is through HID evolution who have now custom-tailored the mod for the RTX 2080 (this is not Clevo's doing, but HID's effort to offer a superior machine to the true enthusiasts out there who may need it). In addition, HID Evolution is also a Prema partner that offers a bios with the model allowing for full control of the machine as opposed to the limitations one faces with the stock Clevo bios. The thermal throttle limits are raised substantially because of this. Both of these along with the delidded CPUs and thermal pasting and pads make this worth considering in my opinion.

I know that the price is steep for this and something one has to take into account (I am in the same boat).

I have been stalking this forum for months now and have been looking to buy a desktop replacement myself for my modeling and simulations needs (primary use) and sporadic gaming (secondary use). I have shortlisted the Alienware Area 51m, the P870, and the P775 after much consideration. I might just lean towards the Clevo models after all the horror stories I have been reading about the Alienware Area 51m.

jmorvay likes this.
  8. jmorvay

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clarification. With Clevo's model names and then changed for each builder's catalog, it's not easy to track down what is what. I've done plenty of shopping and research on what is new these days for laptops, since I hadn't shopped for one, since about 2 years ago and the laptop I have currently, has its fair share of issues so when I decided what to do, i thought it best on my end to just replace it. I never bought into the SLI config for my laptop, since there was extra cost and i didn't do anything on the laptop that would benefit. As for heat issues, time will tell if this new laptop will have those problems, but that's purely up to me and whether I decide to overclock and how much. I'll test it out with the apps I use the most, which is 3D modelling and rendering, as well as simulation, to see if a bump up is needed (which I'll probably come back here for guidance). Another annoying thing about my current laptop, which is my fault, was buying into the 4k screen. Sure, it's beautiful for viewing pictures and movies, but for actual work, it's difficult, as I am older and have bad eyes. I never considered the implications of having a 4k screen, despite it being mounted in a 17" laptop. I've torn my hair out getting the apps to scale properly, and when they did, everything was blurry. Unfortunately, I never pressed it further, and dealt with the really small type on the screen, so that's taking a toll. This new laptop has a 1080p screen at 144hz, which should bring some relief to the eyes. Having to be mobile is a huge drawback, so having a desktop replacement laptop is important. I'm not looking to shatter records with this new laptop, just have something stable, with great performance to suit my needs. :)

When I saw that Alienware did a refresh to their Area 51 line, I took a look, but honestly, I have enough doubts over the performance and heat dissipation, of their top of the line model to warrant looking elsewhere, which I did.

I'm itching to see how this all turns out, should have the new laptop in my hands by the beginning of next week. If I'm not happy, I can return it, which is a saving grace.

9. Yenzen

Yenzen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not sure what this was meant to be. Did you have a question for the Resellers or experience you would like to share?