Ask the Resellers! Questions to Reseller Thread.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jmorvay

jmorvay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question for Sager. I am highly interested in purchasing the NP9176-G3, but I see in the configuration section, under the storage heading, that you cannot deselect all of the M.2 storage drives. I would want to transfer the two M.2 PCIE Nvme drives that I currently have, to this new machine and just order one 2.5 SATA drive to use as the OS drive (for the initial build). I see other resellers who sell this model Clevo, where you can specify not having any M.2 drives, but Sager is different.

2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is there a reason you want to buy from Sager instead of a Clevo System Builder that offers you what you want?

Papusan likes this.
  3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have already begun to ship the EVOC High Performance Systems P970EN.

Please email me for details on your Notebookreview discount.

4. jmorvay

Reputations:
    Price has a lot to do with it, but I've been looking at many companies so far, which also appear to have variations of the same system, so it's a bit confusing. I was under the impression that the Sager systems were Clevo?

5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @jmorvay Yes, Sager laptops = Clevo laptops. They're also one of many Clevo system builders.

When shopping around, feel free to touch base with sellers you're interested in. If you don't see a particular offering you're after, that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be fulfilled upon request. :vbsmile:

6. jmorvay

Reputations:
    In hopes of saving time emailing builders (and I don't know many stateside), here's a rundown of what I'm looking for. I currently have a Clevo-type laptop that I need to replace, and it's replacement is due to faster processing, better rendering and gaming. I need it to be a good all-around laptop that won't give me too much trouble. I am enamored by the i9-9900k, but I don't see much of a better cooling solution on the Clevo side of things, so thermals is a concern. I see MSI has a better cooling solution, but their systems top processor is the 6-core 8950HK, which I could settle with, if it'll meet the demands. I'm coming from a i7-7700k, so I would assume the 8950HK would be better? If not, then that leaves the i9-9600, 9700 or 9900 K processors, but again, it's all about the thermals. All of these systems can be equipped with the GTX-2080, so that's not a concern for me.

If anyone can shed some light on performance of the above referenced processors, giving me some sound advice and maybe hard data, then it'll help me in making a decision. If I can at least hang on to this new system for 3 years, I'd be happy.

7. Prostar Computer

Reputations:
    Do you feel like the 7700K is actually slowing you down?

Here's a quick rundown comparing the 9600K, 9700K, and 9900K to your 7700K: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/4028vs3647

You can expect less of a performance gap with the 8950HK v.s your 7700K: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-8950HK-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/m486215vs4031

As far as cooling goes, that's something that might be a good idea to talk with some sellers about. See what they offer in the way of combating heat, unless you plan to take steps against that on your own time (which might risk warranty).

8. jmorvay

Reputations:
    The i7-7700k has done well for me, up until issues I've had with my laptop that I backed off the overclock from 4.5 to it's base clock, thinkin git might help with the problems. The problems I have with the laptop in general are a catalyst in finding a new system, so as I look to the more recent systems, they're either the 8950HK or the i9-9000 series. The first comparison pretty much revealed what I expected from the coffee lake refresh vs. the flagship, but the second comparison didn't seem right as it was comparing the 8950HK with an i5, and not the i9. Forgive my slight confusion over what is what, and what differences there are between i5,i7 and i9, but all I know at this point is that I need a laptop that can handle 3D modelling and rendering as well as simulation type games, which is what i use my current system for. If I'm getting a new system, i don't want to go backwards in tech, hence looking at the 6 and 8 core processors.

As for heat, I've looked at different manufacturer designs and how they cool, and with what I see of the Clevo's they still run everything out the back, versus others who run out the side and back, which to me, seems like a better solution. One feature I am aware of, comes from HIDevolution, where they modify the bottom plate of the MSI Titan, to allow for more direct airflow to the fans, which seems like a great idea. I wouldn't mind getting another Clevo, if they'd fix the cooling, especially for the higher heat producing i9s. As for any added cooling on my part, I use risers beneath the rear end of the laptop to prop it up more to allow more ambient air in to the fans, and i don't have any plans of hacking an expensive laptop on my own and thus voiding any warranty.

9. Prostar Computer

Reputations:
    Oops, I meant to paste the link for your 7700K v.s the 8950HK to show the performance gap may or may not have been what you thought it was: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-8950HK-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K/m486215vs3647

You can plug in any CPU model in the drop down menus to compare. :vbsmile:

An i9 is probably going to be more worth your time and money as far as performance goes, and HID seems to do good work when it comes to getting things to run cooler, including on the Clevos ("EVOCs").

Papusan likes this.
  10. jmorvay

Reputations:
    No offense to Prostar, but I did look deeper at what HIDevolution could do and everything was very impressive, except for one minor detail: the warranty. Everything I could configure (for the EVOC) as well as the costs associated, looked to be in line with what I was willing to pay but when I looked at the 3-year warranty terms, suffice to say, I stopped right there. Sorry, can't get around the cost of a warranty that either has a) warranty everything for one year then drop off the gpu after that for subsequent 2 years or b) warranty everything for 3 years and give up my first born. I can read between the lines here, as there is a significant cost associated with pretty much the most expensive component in the laptop but to look into a crystal ball to see if paying the much higher amount will pay or not, well my crystal ball is broken.

This DOES however, bring up an interesting subject and that's what warranties will cover these days, more specifically for the gpu (otherwise known as "the most expensive component of the laptop"). Other builders state that if you may for X amount of warranty length, you are covered, but what I don't see is whether the warranty in fact covers everything. One of the main reasons I am looking for a new laptop is due to mine having an expired warranty and one of my components died...guess which one? lol

I like the i9 and I like the GTX 2080, both of which should cover all my bases, so now it's down to whom can build this guy for me at a reasonable cost...hopefully with an ironclad, no hidden tricks warranty to boot. :)