Ask the Resellers! Questions to Reseller Thread.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Dale Carnegie. I will take that as a statement for what it is. Even if not directed at me, I get your point, our intentions were to be helpful, even if it didn't come off that way, in all honesty.

Prostar Computer likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Usually they advertise it on the forum, discussing pricing/particular deals kind of goes against what resellers discuss on the forum directly.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    @Donald@HIDevolution Since you guys offer backlight bleed binning, is a side effect of that that the quality of the non binned panels declined?

Like normally there'd be a fair random chance of a panel from most places. But with the binning those who pay for it will get a top 20% panel. So wouldn't therefore the average quality of a non binned panel decrease somewhat? Or does it work differently.

Edit: Answered in another thread! If 100 panels come in top 20 are reserved, so it sounds like the binning is worth it!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since some people were asking for perfect panels with no backlight bleed, which is almost impossible with IPS screens, we tried to figure out a fair way to do it. We get what we get from the manufacturers, and yes, it is a lottery, but we can't just return those that have backlight bleed...they won't take them...so...

We get 100 pieces, inspect them all, reserve the top 20% and the rest go into the lottery. So if anyone wants to play the lottery, and most do since only some people even care about backlight bleed, they will be playing in a lottery where the pool is slightly inferior. If someone really cares about it, they have the choice to better their odds with the upgrade.

Can you think of a more fair way to do it?

Phoenix and Galm like this.
  5. woodzstack

Reputations:
    If you do not mind me asking, do you do anything special to stop the backlight bleeding or is it just by testing each that you separate them ?

6. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Of course we do out best adjusting the bezel and mounting to reduce it, but that doesn't always solve the issue. You know this is a characteristic of IPS-level screens. Like everything else, you give and you take...very little in this world is perfect.

Phoenix likes this.
  7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    No I didn't mean it in an accusatory way that's very fair. I was just curious since I didn't know what you did exactly. I could have seen it being done a few different ways, but this one makes the most sense so I was pretty glad you said it haha.

And yeah IPS backlight bleed is always a problem, never had very good ones on laptops. The best one I've ever seen I ended up keeping as my monitor haha and is some kind of unicorn.... I've seen a few others of this model (Acer XB271HK) and they seemed to have a tiny bit of backlight bleed, but mine has almost literally 0. So I ain't trading this bad boy out haha.
    And heck the photo makes it look worse in the bottom left than it does in real life... May have caught a reflection from the hallway behind me...
    upload_2017-10-1_0-2-19.png

8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Well thank you for the explanation. So there's no severe modding involved or anything.

9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    They also look best, IMO, the IPS panels, even if there is bleep.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Easiest way to eliminate 90% of IPS bleed is to fuse the display element to the front glass, like in MacBooks.

Unfortunately, that means the display cannot be replaced/repaired easily.

On the other hand, contrast ratios and clarity can shoot through the roof.