AS5 what did I do wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by usmc1488, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScreenSaver

ScreenSaver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I put Antec Formula 5.. that ok? or should I change it? If you really think I should.. what to use ?:) Thanks!
    [​IMG]

M11x.

ps. I have tried to post photos so you can see it in my text instead of clicking a link.. I simply don't know how:(

Quote by usmc1588:
    So I added as5 to my 2 gpu's and one didnt have a reduction in temps and the other had an increase. I prepped the gpu's and fans by scraping the old paste off followed by using alcohol. Was I supposed to wait a certian amoumt of time for it to dry?
    Unquote.

When I removed mine.. it was kind of like playdoh. wasn't messy.. too dry. I used a credit card to scrape it off. I removed.. used 91% Isopropyl alachol.. Q-tips!.. Then I applied with my finger in a plastic bag snugly wrapping around my finger for a total smooth finger tip ( Only about 4 inch square of the bag to cut out to do this NOT the entire bag ).. this way it rubs on and applys nicely.. ( saw this in a 'apply thermal grease guide' ) . Some say to apply on the heat sinc then whipe it off with a cloth leaving the stain.. but apply on the CPU / GPU and lower the cooler.. ( This also was read from a 'apply thermal grease guide' )... this fills the micro cracks of scratches you caused . I also read.. less is more. You don't want it to ooze out the sides.

I use a grounding strap when I do this. Always.

It is true.. it takes time to ' cure '

2. usmc1488

usmc1488 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ive been using gpu-z to accurately monitor temps, ive seen 97 c is this too hot for the 9800m ? A new driver and as5 has lowered it to 90. Whats the safe operating temp range?

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Anything under 105C.
    Though I find 90C too hot. 80C is where I feel more comfortable. But that's just me.

4. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    if your temps are good then leave it. some good paste are mx-3, ocz freeze, shin-etsu, also mx-4 is out and heard it is good also but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

yes some paste needs curing time, like as5 need 200 hrs. but i perfer using the above mentioned paste because it non conductive and has no curing time.

5. usmc1488

Reputations:
    inap, does 90 look like a good temp to you? Whats in your opinion a good heat range for Nvidia cards?

6. usmc1488

Reputations:
    ps thanks everyone for the input and advice, just trying to keep my investment alive!

7. inap

inap .........................

Reputations:
    90 is consider alittle high but still safe, i would try to get it under 85 for max.

8. SillyHoney

SillyHoney Headphone Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My old GTX 260M SLI and new XFX 5870M never reach 80C in any circumstance. And I don't know how to apply paste by the way.

9. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow - does that include furmark? - ive been running my stock system test using furmark multigpu with factory pastes still on and my temps in furmark top out at 89/90c as a rule, run for 5 mins on xtreme burn in 1920x1080 etc....

10. lidowxx

lidowxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    97 c is definitely too high for a 9800M, 90C is not healthy either in the long run, have you considered investing in a laptop cooler? Also other paste like ICD-7 will give you better result than AS5. My laptop cooler(zalman nc2000) along with ICD-7 helps lowering the temp of my 9800M gs a lot, it always stays under 80C.

If you want to keep your laptop running for a few years, you'd better keep the GPU under 85 C.