AS2012WLMi vs Toshiba M30-00K

Discussion in 'Acer' started by xmancanada, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 403fobby

403fobby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey thanks~, i wonder why xmancanada said there IS a subwoofer.....because I've read couple of reviews where people complained about the lack of subwoofer in this model. And by the way are you going to write a review on the unit? If you are, I will be very pleased. Please consider reviewing on the heat level and duration, gaming experience, and sound quality/loudness. Thanks!

2. Odie

Odie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm looking to buy the 2012WLMi model here in Dubai in the next few days hopefully (I live in the UK but I'm here on vacation and the pricing is considerably cheaper than the UK. The best pricing I've found so far for the base unit is equivalent to US $1,694.87, according to XE.com as of today) That's after a lot of bargaining.

I'll actually be looking to get the two 256mb ram modules removed and replaced with two 512mb Kingston ram modules (Kingston valueram series, CL2.5, 333mhz ddr) - Can anyone tell me if this is a good decision? They only offer the valueram series over here, but I *have to* choose Kingston to get warranty cover for the modules back in the UK. I *think* these modules should be at least as fast as the base Acer-supplied dimms, yes or no?

Lots of shops stock this model and I've had a chance to play with it a little bit. It's definately mostly (if not 100%) plastic, but feels solidly built with very little flex as far as I an tell.

In case anyone's wondering, I was messing around with the Radeon 9700 settings control panel and it mentioned Compal, so I guess that's the oem which manufactures this model.

- Odie

3. MD470

MD470 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can find in NL the Aspire 2012WLMi for 1300 EUR (all taxes included). You may get it to 1050 EUR if you manage to get the VAT back, which is not impossible. Aspire 2023 would be 1580 – 1600 EUR (all taxes included). So, US $1,694.87, for an Aspire 2012WLMi is too much.

4. Neero

Neero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <<<<Mine is definately not Aluminum. It's black plastic. The 'metalic' parts are just paint.

I think you have to go up to the 2020 for the full true metal finish.>>>>>

I'm again Comparing picures on newegg site an noticed that the LCD lid of the 2012 is different from my 2001. (ithought it was all the same). Is the Lid Plastic too on the 2012?

5. Odie

Odie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MD470, that price seems very low including tax! You could probably make some good money selling those on ebay to people in the UK.

The best UK price I've been able to find is about 1070 pounds including VAT (17.5%) - about 1619.99

The price I've found here is equivalent to about 1403.99 euros.

Add to that the fact that I'm also going to be saving money on the RAM upgrade because the prices over here for 512mb Kingston sodimms are about 15 pounds cheaper each than the best UK prices I've seen. AND - the shops over here will buy back the two 256mb sodimms that come out of the machine straight away for a good price.

The final price over here for the 2012LMi with 1 Gb of Kingston ram (2x 512mb modules), a targus carry case and a Microsoft notebook optical mouse comes to around 1546 euros.

- Odie

6. vai

vai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2012wlci seems to get hot around the upper right corner of the keyboard
    and when its reading some data CDs, theres a very strong vibration sound.

7. atrox

atrox Newbie

Reputations:
    i'm also planning to buy the 2012WLMi but got one more question:
    the DVD writer, is it slot loading as some pictures show?

I can't find any reliable information on that.

8. 403fobby

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by atrox

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  9. atrox

atrox Newbie

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'> from what I personally know, the 2010 series does NOT have slot loading drives, and NO subwoofers. Hope this helps.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></font id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'>

the european version seems to differ a lot from the other versions, cuz i AM sure that it contains a subwoofer. But thanks anyway i'll keep continuing my search.

10. 403fobby

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by atrox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.