Artifacts with 7970s

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Soul Reaver, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

This is the second set of 7970s I have and last night playing Bf4 I started to gte green pixelation on screen. Out of game in windows I dont get this but in a game it comes on. Any ideas? Do you think my cards are fried and I need a third set from Alienware? I have 68 days left on my warrenty.

Cheers

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You might need one of the GPUs replaced. Hard to know without more detailed information. First thing I would do is extend the warranty for a year or two. The person in Tech Support that helps you with the current hardware problem can most likely get the warranty extension set up for you at the same time.

3. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    I just loaded up Badlands with max settings and crossfire enabled and it playes fine with no glitch. Could this be a Bf4 issue/driver thing again so you think? what other game is card hungry I could try?

4. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does playing with the Mantle API and Direct3D API make a difference for you?

It could very well be a driver issue, too. Try a complete deinstallation of your display driver including cleanup and then install a different driver to see if that helps any.

However, green pixelation sounds like a video memory issue. As it doesn't happen in other games (with less demand on the memory?), perhaps the memory on one of the cards is overheating? Check your temperatures. It could be defective memory as well, though. Or a LVDS issue, although I'd assume it wouldn't surface only in a certain game.

You could try to play in a cooler enviroment and see if that helps and/or attempt to downclock your video cards' memory by a good amount to see if that gets rid of the issue. If it is a hardware issue and you're still under warranty, make sure to get them replaced ASAP, and make sure that when the tech comes to install the things, that the heatsinks and thermal pads are seated correctly and evenly and the thermal compound on the CPU is good.

I'd call Dell, though, before your warranty expires and as Mr. Fox suggested, extend it for as long as you can. The system has been flaky for you and you don't want any components to break down when your warranty expires as it can get very expensive to replace them real quick. The 7970Ms have been known to have a high failure rate (I've been lucky with mine so far, but many others haven't), so it's certainly a wise idea to extend the warranty.

5. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    Thanks buddy I shall try all you suggest. Can I replace my 7970s with Nividia? Do they plug in the board the same or is the board different also? I guess Dell will only replace like for like though eh.

I am currently on the latest driver which is 14.2, what would you suggest I go down to? I have always played BF4 with max on all settings with no issues until now. How can I monitor my temps, whats the best app for that please/

Cheers
    mark.

6. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    This is the issue. Now in windows too.

2014-03-20_183423.jpg

7. Soul Reaver

Reputations:
    Bugger print screen didnt capture it :(

Thread Status: