Arma 3 ALPHA Very High Settings On M18x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Throbin, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throbin

Throbin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Very pretty game and runs well with Very High Settings on my duel 7970. SLI & CROSSFIRE do need some support with profiles and drivers but these will come in time :D

Hope you guys enjoy the video, Also if anyone is running this with 680mSLI let us know how it performs :D

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Good game? I hope they ironed out the bugs from ARMA 2.

3. Throbin

Reputations:
    Very good game and runs well unlike arma 2

4. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bought this on Steam after seeing how well it runs in your vid :thumbsup:

This is my first time playing an ARMA game, and good god am I confused lol. Took me forever to figure out how to aim down my sights :p Also, there is mega underutilization with the 680m sli. Utilization fluxuates between 30-55%, so I'm only getting around 34-40fps with ultra settings, SMAA, and medium-ish draw distance :( I'm on 314.14 right now; I'm hoping Nvidia includes optimization for this game in their next WHQL. I've tried overclocking, but it seems like utilization just dropped more.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Have any useful tips for better performance?

edit: I just saw that utilization is pretty bad for you too, Throbin. Still not as bad as mine, but I guess this game is just poorly optimized for both camps. I guess that's to be expected with an alpha build lol

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That sounds like it might be lower performance than just using one 680M by itself. If you don't already have a profile for the game, create one. Then see if changing the SLI rendering mode from "NVIDIA recommended" to AFR 1 or AFR 2 helps. Sometimes that can more than double the performance, depending how poor a job the game developer did.

Change the power management mode from adaptive to maximum performance and select high performance for every available setting with that option. I have noticed that it seems like some games that don't demand as much can under-perform, maybe because the GPUs start trying to conserve power. I have not validated that theory yet, because I just started paying closer attention to it while gaming.

6. Throbin

Reputations:
    Yes Arma 3 has no support for SLI or crossfire it seems.

7. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good tips, unfortunately the underutilization is still there after making a custom profile. I'm just playing on "high" now, and framerates are decent but still nowhere near what they should be. You're right though. a single 680m should have no issues maxing this game out. It's just terribly optimized at this point :(

8. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I haven't tried this out on my M18x yet..just my desktop. My desktop (single gtx 680) I have everything on ultra with max draw levels and getting around 25 fps. It's ok if it is terribly optimized at the moment, as it is just an alpha..so you have to cut it some slack. Will be a great game on it's final release I'm sure like all the other Arma games and Operation Flashpoint (if anyone remembers the original back in the day!)

9. Arotished

Arotished Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Arma 3 is like night and day compared to Arma 2.

I get minimal different between SLI enabled and disabled so just need to wait for drivers :) 35-45FPS with auto-settings...

10. Throbin

Reputations:
    Its in Mid Alpha mate so its going to be pants,.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.