Arguing on the Internet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Voodooi, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Have you ever argued on the internet about something you later found a waste of time and couldn't believe you invested all that time arguing because no matter what you say, the person you argued with would not change his or her stance on the matter?

This morning I spent a couple hours going back and forth with racist hillbilly on youtube who didn't like a particular group of people and believed that anyone wearing a turban should be expelled from his country.

After I stopped talking to him, I thought to myself, why in the world did I waste my time on this guy? I'm very multicultural and it drives me crazy when I see people like this. I guess when you're so passionate about your beliefs, it sometimes pushes you to do things you wouldn't normally do - like wasting 2 hours!

Have you fallen victim to endless arguing too? :p

(keep politics and religion at a minimal to respect forum rules)

2. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    It's not a complete waste. Even if the person you are arguing with doesn't change their views, other people reading the arguments might.

3. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    IDK. I like to argue. Arguing on the interwebs is just good form.

[​IMG]

4. s2odin

s2odin Merrica!

Reputations:
    I like trolling in video games such as L4D, Aion, SWTOR, etc.

5. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    ^^This.

Not only that, but you learn new things, gain insights you might not have, and you hone your communication skills.

6. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ...is like running in the Special Olympics? :p

Most of the time, I avoid arguing on the internet, especially on YouTube. Believe me, I hate seeing all the stupid comments on YouTube videos. I love foreign music and every time I see a foreign music video, there's always some argument about countries being better than other countries and how this seldom-referenced country has "the most beautiful women". I just ignore it.

Sometimes I'm tempted when someone says something blatantly bigoted, racist, sexist, or homophobic, but a lot of the time it seems like if the person is bigoted enough, they're not going to change their views just because someone argued with them on the internet.

But that's not to say I never argue on the internet. I like putting forth my opinions, even if I know they're controversial. I like showing that I can defend them and won't back down when criticized, challenged, or questioned. I like building up my arguments and learning from people (especially when I get to argue with people twice my age, which happens sometimes!) I also like to clear up misunderstandings. If someone responds to me with "So you're saying that..." and is totally off, then I'll probably argue until I get my actual point across.

So half and half. I probably would avoid a racist hillbilly or an argument about which band sucks more because it would seem pointless to me. But if someone wants to hear my opinion about feminism or Catholicism or the "birther movement" and I feel like I have something developed or worth saying, then I might feel like speaking up.

7. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]

I've had a few occasions like that. I usually let those slide, but I can't stand it when someone claims me wrong when I'm right. :p

8. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have. Some people just don't how to give up. Especially when it's something so simple, people make it complicated.

9. Type 100

Type 100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been on various forum websites for at least 9 years now, most of which was spent on car clubs. Sometimes you just have to know when you should be on the brakes.

The way I see it, closed-minded arguing just breeds more closed-minded arguing. Words are only so effective - most of the time it's better to just act and "be the change you want to see in the world," as Gandhi is famously quoted saying.

Unfortunately walking away from arguments, online or otherwise, is usually seen as a form of cowardice. Don't let it get to your ego.

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I don't agree! You can never make me!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.