Area51m - Aftermarket SSD heatsinks that fit?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by DeeX, Jul 24, 2019.

1. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Looking for feedback from people that have tried to put some aftermarket SSD heatsinks in the A51m.
    While the Dell one is OK, its also flimsy and can flex while installing, thus lifting on some chips. One that is more rigid is more ideal. I am going to be testing some but figured I would ask around on here as well.

Plus I wanted to get in the habit of creating threads with different topics instead of putting everything in the lounge. :p

VoodooBane and iunlock like this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    The universal ones with the fins work well. Especially in SSD slot 2, however, it also fits well in SSD slot #1 since there is enough clearance.

Pretty much any heat sink that fits will get the job done. The key is making sure there is good contact between the chips on the SSD to the heat sink and try using a thinner thermal pad over using a thicker one.

I'm running my primary SSD (OS drive) in SSD slot #1.

3. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Got some links to add to my collection? Bout to test a few. :)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I got this one in:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Y5DZ4N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works amazing! It also fits well into Slot 2. I have not tried Slot 1 yet but will edit the post when I try that.
    On my EVO Plus before I was getting Temp 2 (controller temp) hitting 70-80C something when testing with CrystalDiskMark.
    After the sink install the max temp of Temperature 2 was 55C, WOW! :)
    Again that's the controller temp (temperature 2), which is usually the hottest.
    Temp 1, which is the temp normally people look at, I got a max temp of 47c.
    I do not recall what it was prior as it never really went crazy high, but I believe it was in the 60C range.
    Idle temps with the sink on are 37C for Temp 1 and 33C for Temp 2.

The sink is a bit tricky to install because it has thermal pads on both sizes but I got it going.
    I'm happy. I ordered two more. :)

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    A bit pricey (my SSD was $23 sooo yeah LOL) but might get one for slot 2 if the ssd runs hot.

6. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I just odered this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/HS-M2-SSD-BK...=gelid+m2+ssd&qid=1565333033&s=gateway&sr=8-2
    I called slot 1 for ssd near the wifi card, and slot 2 for ssd near the battery for easy to distinguish. First I think the gelid kit will not fit the slot 1, and slot 2 is easily but I'm wrong. The slot 1 is fitted perfectly even I applied the silicon rubbers. But in slot 2, the heatsink hit the plastic part of the bottom cover so I cannot close the cover (it will bend the ssd or break it into 2 pieces if I try to push the cover).
    FYI, the ssd brand I'm using is Samsung 970 pro. There is no copper inside the front sticker (but it has very thin copper layer in the back sticker) so I peel it off the front sticker. By that, I figured out the height of the controller is less than NAND around 0.5mm so I put 0.5mm thermal pad into NAND, and 1mm into controller and apply the gelid heatsink. Based on the Gelid's website, the heatsink height is 3mm. With a simple calculation, the thickness after implement the heatsink is around 3.5mm.
    With the Dell's genuine heatsink (0.5mm thickness) + 0.5mm thermal pad, we don't have any issue on the slot 2. So for now I need to find a way to measure the height between the ssd and the plastic part of the bottom cover. And I ordered a 2mm copper for testing purpose. More information I will put in here, sorry for no image because I'm still working at the office.

7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @DeeX any updates on this one mate?

8. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Holy Moly $29????
    The last one I linked is amazing. (20-30C Drop)
    Also, they fit perfectly in both slots and does not use rubber bands. (bands deteriorate eventually).
    No complaints at all...
    Well, they are tricky to install because there are sticky pads on both sides, but I now got it down.

20190818_153303.jpg

phusy and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, I can't believed your heatsink fit well in slot 2 without hitting the bottom cover. I just ordered two of it and test it. Very exciting!

10. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Indeed and both the bottom and top sink are attached. :) Works great!