Area-51m randomly starts typing 111111

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Spartan, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    This has been driving me crazy. Randomly my laptop would just start typing 1111111 . It wouldn't stop until I reboot. The laptop could work fine for an hour or so then it starts doing it again.

Anyone had this happen before?

@Mr. Fox @iunlock @Papusan

ole!!!, Papusan, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup. I have seen that a couple of times. I cannot remember the last time I saw it or what laptop it was happening on. I think it may have been one of the Thinkpads I used to use at work, since they were subjected to dirtier environments than my own systems.

Either the keyboard needs to be cleaned or replaced. That key is sticking. It could be an issue with the keyboard controller as well. While it is not something I have seen frequently and it's not a common problem in terms of frequency, I wouldn't call it unusual or mysterious. It could be something as simple as a small piece of debris under the "1" key scissor mechanism... Like a tiny little piece of styrofoam from packing material, for example.

3. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    but why does it do it randomly? like I'm using the computer just fine, typing, watching YouTube, then all of a sudden this would start.

I might upgrade to the crappy 1.7.3 BIOS for a while just to test things.

I have also disconnected my Xbox controller for now to see if it does it.

Edit: oh and by the way, when I format my laptop, I would be using it for hours tweaking and whatnot and this never happens. I wonder if it's some dodgy app or driver.

iunlock likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Can't answer that, but the reason might be simple and easy to understand once it is identified. It depends on whether it is a piece of debris or a hardware problem. If it is a piece of debris, it may be partially depressing the 1 key switch. If it is a defective keyboard, or if it is another hardware or software problem, any number of things could cause it to be random.

5. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Could be heat issue, does the surrounding area get warm/hot to the touch?

Spartan, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I am still puzzled, why wouldn't this happen before I installed all my apps. I am sure there is something behind this because I just formatted today and I spent 2 hours tweaking and whatnot. I need to hunt down whatever fishy app I might have installed that's doing this.

PS: disconnecting the Xbox controller wasn't it.

7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Nope

but I just checked Event Viewer and noticed this:

etern4l and jc_denton like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe it's a keylogger that doesn't know when to stop. If you think it is being caused by software, maybe eliminate things one-by-one, starting with the software you have been using the shortest amount of time.
    Yup, it could definitely be a bug in AWCC. It has some "features" related to the keyboard, doesn't it? Remove it with Revo and see if the problem goes away.

Did you recently update it because of the "newer is better" mental illness most of us suffer from? If it was a recent update, installing it may have borked the firmware that it uses for various things. Using Revo won't roll back the firmware, but installing an older version might overwrite the firmware with an older (better) version.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    This is one of the latest apps that I have installed in the past months, I just uninstalled it: IconViewer v3.02

I have been using the latest version of AWCC for a while. I am sure it's one of the apps bro because only after installing all my apps does this start to happen.

Like I am typing right now and everything is fine. I will continue to report my findings.

I have also reset the BIOS to defaults, still on 1.5.0

10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I've seen this before along with other keys on Varies laptops in the past. Here were the causes to the issues:

1. Corrupted driver / app etc...
    2. Damaged (pinched) keyboard ribbon cable that's causing kinda' like a short.
    3. Damaged key mechanism under the key cap.

Most of the time I was able to fix it via software, but there were times where I had to replace the keyboard ribbon cable and/or kb main board.

I'm thinking with your case it could be software / app related.

Try installing a spare ssd and do a clean windows install. It's a good way to rule out if it's software or hardware related.

Hope that helps... I'm curious now. :)