Area 51M R2 Time Spy and Fire Strike scores low

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by jpowell490, Feb 22, 2021.

1. jpowell490

jpowell490 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well after two days of non stop digging, I finally saw the problem in XTU. I ran the benchmark and the Thermal Throttling and the Current/EDP limit throttling was flashing. I undervolted - 100 and it stopped. And the temps in HWinfo64 and HWmonitor were in the high 80s. That seemed to not matter.

I just don't know, a new laptop that has to be undervolted to even work right and a 4k one at that? About ready to return and go with a different brand all together.

etern4l likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    At least you can undervolt. But who knows what the future will bring with new bios updates. I’m sure bro @Normimb know what I mean http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.770314/page-434#post-11081693

And their buggy software mess is now up in +34 pages on Dell’s own tech forum. The thread started up last year. We are now come into March 2021.

The latest update I found was stating there would be a fix/update for SupportAssist towards the end of March that should fix the Alienware and Inspiron systems."

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R4-reseat-the-memory-message/td-p/7753621/page/31

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    etern4l and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So you are saying that when running a benchmark (don't know wich one, you don't provide informations) your CPU thermal throttles your 10900K...correct?
    So if you undevolt -100 then thermal throttling is gone...correct?

Well then, my friend, your laptop is working as intended. NO 10900K can run cool in any laptops stock withouth an undervolt, with stock paste on top of that. Actually it would appear that this result is very good.
    The 10900K is THE most powerfull CPU (10 cores ) on any laptop ever built.I dont't know anyone who purchase such a powerfull machine and expect it to worked perfectly without any tweaks and maybe a repaste. All other lapops your are going to purchase in the future (less powerfull) will also need to be undervolt.

Maybe this laptop is just not for you. Maybe the solution for you is a desktop because all other CPU from all other brand will need you to undervolt the CPU for better performance.

etern4l likes this.
  4. jpowell490

Reputations:
    Norm,

Don't treat me that way baby :( Haha. I love it, if it's normal then so be it. I will repaste it today and be fine with it. I just didn't want to pay for something that isn't as intended. I do understand the 10900k was a very hot chip in Temps and wattage.

Your statement was exactly what I was looking for. As far as tests, these were the ones I was running. I only ran the CPUZ as 100 undervolt. Is that a normal undervolt or should I go more?

Below is the CPUZ screen. I believe timespy throttle the CPU on the CPU test part, but Intel XTU is what throttle and helped me identify. I will post that screen too. Thanks for all your help Norm and Papusan.

Attached Files:

etern4l likes this.
  5. jpowell490

Reputations:
    More

Attached Files:

6. Normimb

Reputations:
    :) . I asked to provide HWinfo print screen when running CBR20 and you Provide CPUz stess test with HWmonitor.?
    (HWinfo is more complete then HWmonitor, HWmonitor is a basic monitoring tool but is better for benchmarking since it uses less ressource. For diagnostic it's HWinfo all the way.)

I also asked you to download ThrottleStop but you use XTU Hum...

Now back to your CPU. I have compared the picture you provided and compare it with mine.
    cpuz comparaison.png

So your CPU is performing better then mine on this test. :)

Then i looked at the HWmonitor picture you provided and i am pretty sure i find one of your setting that is incorrect: Your windows power plan is not set to Performance in windows or/and in AWCC. When set correctly it shoud run 48,49X. Yours is running at 8X. User error.
    windows power plan.png

Ok so for now we know for sure your CPU is running fine in all CPU benchmark test.

What @Papusan and i want you to concentrate on now is your 3dmark benchmark only. TimeSpy (you firestrike score was fine).
    Run it without any undervolt, no overclock. And monitor your clock speed during the test.
    Make sure you set your windows powerplan at PERFORMANCE and FAN at full speed. Look at you max temps after the test.

Post results.

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not so fast, see my post in page 2. Both need to be re-done. 3DM Firestrike graphics score doesn't match what to expect from 2080 Super.

Edit.
    From review with the weaker power gimped 2070 Super
    upload_2021-3-2_21-19-54.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    etern4l likes this.
  8. Normimb

Reputations:
    You are absolutely right (i repeat myself...lol) i just did a stock test and his graphic score needs to improve. @jpowell490 fire strike too need to improve. Don't forget perfomance mode :)
    Here's mine:

Capture d’écran (51).png

VS @jpowell490 score
    fire strike.PNG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  9. jpowell490

Reputations:
    Sorry fellas for the late reply, been busy with new job. So I was taking the laptop down to repaste it to see if that helped any when I saw the last straw. There are 4 tabs holding the rear, black vent piece in place. One of the tabs was missing the screw and was broke off.

For $4000, I was done. It's crazy to get that problems out of that kind of money. So I decided to return it and go another route. Building my own and bought the following components last night. Should be a screamer, I will post these Timespy scores!

Intel Core i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), 10-Core 20-Thread

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3090 OC 24GB (White)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING ATX Motherboard, WIFI 6E

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD

CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum 280MM Liquid Cooling

CORSAIR RM850x 80 Plus Gold PSU

CORSAIR Obsidian 500D RGB Case

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  10. Normimb

Reputations:
    Congratulations. Happy for you.

Discusting that you were having screws and broken tabs issues. For sure the person who built it knew about it. This happened to me in the past. Hum....it's sad that such a beautifull and powerfull laptop (well designed) was destroyed by bad quality control or eventually by future bios updates to cripple the performance,

The problem is: There's absolutly no laptop manufacturer i trust right now. So there's no other good options other then going desktop.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    etern4l and Papusan like this.