Area 51M R2 Time Spy and Fire Strike scores low

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by jpowell490, Feb 22, 2021.

1. jpowell490

jpowell490 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're right, I have no idea why I posted that, it was late and I was half asleep lol. I do think the 16gb and Spartan's 32 @ 3200mhz made a difference on timespy.

Papusan likes this.
  2. jpowell490

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I expect most can do 70 - +120Mv. It will varie depending on the lottery. But something isn't right with your setup. Notebookcheck doesn't undervolt their test units. Aka neither should you have to do for correct results. The graphics score is ok but the Cpu is way off.
    upload_2021-2-25_4-33-43.png

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.466211.0.html
    upload_2021-2-25_4-32-21.png

Normimb likes this.
  4. jpowell490

Reputations:
    What do you think it could be? Faulty processor? Is there another benchmark I could run for CPU that would tell the tale? Let me know if you don't mind, if something is truly wrong with this one, I'm returning and finished with Alienware.

I personally think it's the RAM. It's either very slow or something is wrong with it. I bet I could put 32gb of 3200 in it and it would skyrocket.

5. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    3DMark Suite's Fire strike test is good due the Combined tests (how ram perform). Same for 3DMark 11 who is a good test to show up Cpu performance (physics test). Grab the free key: 3D11-ADV-DJ72-S63F-PNHK-LCUM-SSSX

Cinebench R15 and Cinebench R20.

All those benchmarks is easy to compare with as guideline on how your setup perform.

If you have the paid version of Aida64 you can run the Cashe and Memory Benchmark. The free version is a bit limited but you will still get some clue how the ram perform.

I doub't it's the memory sticks or the Cpu. Please post pict of the Cpu-Z memory tab.

Edit. Checked your Firestrike results on 3DMark leaderboard (I expect the King Reaper user is you) and the Cpu performance doesn't indicate faulty Cpu. Neither for the ram. The FS combined score who reflect memory performance isn't very much off vs. GT76
    upload_2021-2-25_11-53-13.png

Not top Cpu performance (physics) vs other computers as Clevo and desktops but not too bad vs. etc Msi GT76 who have same Cpu. But the graphics score in Firestrike is your main problem here.

[​IMG]

Maybe a reset of bios and a clean install of Windows and drivers (factory image) could help. Aka it should then perform same as it come out from the factory (the way the reviewers test them).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Normimb and jpowell490 like this.
  6. jpowell490

Reputations:
    Yes, that's me. I appreciate the follow up and suggestions. We'll, I just received this a few days ago so it is just like it came from the factory. I could do a reset which installs the image like it came. I did update the bios to 1.0.6 I believe it is. Oh and you mean without doing updates and windows updates that's how they test them?

As another edit. The bios had the Performance section disabled. That's for over clocking as you know. That was strange as that always comes enabled. Thoughts on that?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. jpowell490

Reputations:
    Ok a follow up. Cinebench 15 and Aida64. Not sure these were the right tests in Aida64, but seems to be on par. Screenshot_20210225-114014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210225-114019_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210225-114014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210225-114014_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210225-114019_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210225-114022_Gallery.jpg

8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let me help you.
    It's not necessary that bios is set to performance to have good results. If you use AWCC (wich i don't recommend) it will set it to the performance you desire. If you use ThtottleStop 9.294 (wich i highly recommend) to set your clock speed, it will work.

You seem to have an issue with your CPU score.
    First thing you should do is:
    1-Reset the Bios by restoring default using F9 and the F10. If you had to many BSOD, the alienware system will go in protection mode and run all cores at 37X. Resetting the bios will restore the desire clock speed. Using ThtotleStop will avoid this procedure. it will bypass this protection.
    2-I noticed your clock speed during TimeSpy is 5.2 or 5.3Ghz. This is too much for this lapop. You shoud set all your cores to 48X (that's the normal operation for this 10900K) undervolt -50 cache and core (no more for now).
    3- You should set your fan speed to maximum and monitore clock speed and temps after the benchmark (you can use HWinfo or 3Dmark details results) to see if you have an overheating issue. Your sytem should run 48X all the time during the bench.
    4-Make sure you don't use any overclock settings in AWCC (turn it off in fusion tab) it might try to bypass ThrottleStop.
    5- For now you should not try to overclock GPU or CPU. Your looking at stable stock clock. 11 to 11.5K in graphics and a 13k range for the CPU in TimeSpy.
    6-Like papusan mentionned don't forget to set max performance in widows power plan but also make sure it's the same in AWCC.

Finally if all those things don't work, you might wan't to reinstall AWCC (most of the issues with alienware system is with this software). Your version of GPU driver is ok.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Mr. Fox, Papusan and jpowell490 like this.
  9. jpowell490

Reputations:
    Norm,

I need more help. This is a brand new laptop. I haven't changed anything. A few things.

1) The bios defaults to disabled for performance mode overclock. If I change that to custom, it changes back to disabled as soon as I boot into windows and the AWCC is loaded.

2) In AWCC, on the Fusion tab, the overclock presets, you cannot disable them, they are grayed out.

3) I have the default loaded in the bios as it came. However the factory service manual says overclock in bios should be enabled and set to custom from the factory? That's the issue there is no way to correct that.

4) Can I not undervolt by creating a new profile in fusion and use the slider in AWCC? If not, where in the Intel Extreme Tuning software should I set all cores to 48?

5) Lastly, and most important, so there is nothing wrong with the processor? It's just a bit too overclocked from the factory?

If that's the case, I am fine with the laptop itself as there is nothing wrong with it and I don't need to send it back. I can configure like you advised.

I've only had it 7 days and haven't used it probably an hour because I started a new job. I just want to make sure it's not defective so I kiss the opportunity to send it back.

I love it, but would you keep this or go with either the MSI Titan or the new GE76 with the 3080m?

Really appreciate everyone's help and look forward to your answers.

10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do as i say in the previous post with the bios (never mind the performance tab) ThrottleStop will bypass it. Trust me. Now i am not sure if your laptop is ok. You need to have the stock score like i previously said in time spy. Copy all those settings in the picture and run the time spy results.

upload_2021-2-27_15-30-19.png

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.