Area 51M or Sager NP9177-R/ Clevo P775TM-R

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by atquantrandash93, Oct 25, 2019.

1. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I'm saving for a gaming laptop I hope to use in the next 3 to 4 years. My plan is the 9900K, 32GBs RAM, 1TB SSD, and 2080 RTX. ( My games would be the Total War franchise, which I'd love to have settings as high as possible, hence the specs)

Between the Area 51M, and the Sager/Clevo with Prema BIOS, which one should I get, and why?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

jclausius likes this.
  2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I just recently sold my Area-51m. If you really don't know what you're doing and downgrade the BIOS to one of the initial ones (which may pose security issues), then this laptop is a throttling nightmare crippled by Dell's firmware. Every new BIOS makes it throttle more. Not to mention the fact that it is the slowest booting laptop I have ever owned (I had 2x 960 PROs by the way).

Stick to the SAGER/EVOC with the Prema BIOS

3. atquantrandash93

Reputations:
    I really don't know a lot about BIOS. Thanks for the tip on the Alienware! Why didn't you go for the MSI GT75?

4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Stick to Clevo, and make sure you order through a reseller like HIDEvolution. For the same price (both expensive), go with the platform that has a better history

Mr. Fox, jclausius and Papusan like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Slow BIOS? Clevo is king of slow BIOS boot. My Area-51m boots up very fast.

You can't go wrong with either computer. Both laptops have basically same specs internally.

Area-51m has much better keyboard, better touchpad, better design (IMO) and with BIOS 1.5.0 (I've tried a bunch of them) performance is good.

Clevo will have better CPU performance, much more BIOS options and less BIOS level throttling (doesn't mean it won't have thermal throttling).

Buying a Clevo from someone like @Donald@HIDevolution with the thermal treatment options will be the way to go.

Thermal throttling will be the biggest issue of either machine more so than the other issues.

If you can, I'd suggest the P870TM-R for its better cooling over the P775TM-R but do keep in mind it's bigger.

jclausius likes this.
  6. atquantrandash93

Reputations:
    @GrandeBollas: HID is among the sellers I consider for a Clevo.

@ssj92 : I prefer the P775TM due to my budget :p. Ideally, I'd have gone for the P751TM, given the size, had it not been for the potential temp issue.

jclausius likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Clevo... no brainer. Alienware has been a screwed up mess since about 2012. Everything they have offered since then has been compromised in multiple ways and the situation has grown progressively worse each year. They have a knack for ruining everything with atrociously botched up firmware and lousy thermal engineering. They never fix their mistakes and replicate them year over year. Now they've moved to a model that uses the Micro$lop store for distributing their proprietary software updates, so their failure is magnified by the unnecessary involvement of an incompetent trade partner peddling digital rubbish.

The Area 51M is not an exception, even though it is their flagship product. In spite of its desktop CPU and chipset, it's not even capable of something as mundane as running DDR4 at 3000MHz. Its BIOS is utterly worthless and so is their half-hearted excuse for trying to make up for it with a piece of crap UWP app for overclocking and tuning. Totally inexcusable. It was a great opportunity for them to make a real comeback into the enthusiast notebook space after 7 years of being asleep at the wheel and they totally blew it. I was super excited to see it and couldn't be more disappointed to see how it turned out. Real bummer.

Now, I will be the first to admit that all of the expensive Dell products have nice build quality. This is undeniable and they deserve credit for doing that one thing right, but that's kind of like putting lipstick on a pig and calling it gorgeous. If having a nicer than average chassis is the only thing you care about, then look no further than Alienware. That is truly the only thing they do well.

They have great warranty service, but that is only a placebo that masks underlying problems that don't get fixed. What's the point in replacing broken crap with more broken crap? Their QC is pathetic, support staff are technically incompetent, and the drama that goes along with owning their junk more or less eclipses everything else. If you read their threads, the degree and frequency of inexcusable nonsense is stupefying and has no match in the industry. You would be hard pressed to find a larger group of disappointed enthusiasts than the Alienware club.

Clevo is by no means perfect, but you will not see anywhere near the level of drama, buyer remorse, disappointment and frequency of malfunction and failure in the Clevo threads. Only the diehard Dellienware fanboys that view being part of the clique as a religious experience are willing to put up with all of the baloney at this point. Most of the folks that used to love the brand have washed their hands and moved on.

These are my observations. Poke around in their threads and you'll see this is a warning from someone who cares about people not getting screwed... not a rant... just the facts as reported by those that are living the nightmare.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  8. atquantrandash93

Reputations:
    Thanks Mr. Fox for the write up! I read a bit about the Area 51M issues, and I have to agree those are unacceptable for a machine that costs $3,000, if not more.

It seems Clevo is the way to go.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell can't even let their gaming flagship run at Intels specs for memory speed (2666MHz). 2400MHz is max you can run in Area-51m. This is even below their what their thin soldered Jokebooks can run. Dell offer 2666MHz ram support for all the other notebook models. Even the cheapest one.

TheDantee and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. atquantrandash93

Reputations:
    I believe the consensus is the Clevo. And yes, that is among what I read about the Area 51M. Thanks Papusan!

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.