Are virusscanners really this bad? shocking results

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phil, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Wow. That is somewhat disturbing results. But I must ask, has this virus been out for awhile? If it was a new virus when you conducted this test, I can see how it might slip through the antivirus software...much of antivirus software is, after all, reacting to existing viruses.

The only other anti-virus I'm interested in seeing tested is Sophos, though as it is a corporate one I can see it may be difficult to acquire. My university provides it free is why I'm curious. I would test it myself, but I don't particularly feel like reinstalling Vista again just to test one virus. Hence why I don't wouldn't blame you for not wanting to test anymore, either.

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What I feel necessary to stress is that this is not one solitary virus as many people are presuming. Yes, the bundle comes wrapped in one .exe file but its basically a lethal concoction of other malicious files. The reason it can take things down so easily is because it hits them incredibly hard and fast. I wouldn't be too concerned with viruses and university, especially if you are primarily connecting through a residential network - the networks tend to be incredibly secure and normally have immensely strict firewalls (I can't access World of Warcraft, P2P networks or Torrents; only Port 80 is open as far as I know) and the only way a system will become infected is due to downloading dodgy files such as Phil's Virus!!!!!!!!!.exe