Are Thinkpads still that tough? Stand on yours to prove it!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kordis, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonwalker.syrius

moonwalker.syrius Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did three of those, all three unintentional. One of them had failed, I'll explain why.

The two that my TPs survived were pure water. One on W520, one on W530. First just got some water over it that simply drained through it onto desk, laptop didn't even notice the issue, kept working like nothing happened. The other got a whole cup of water over it, it shut itself down immediately. When I opened it up to dry it out I found water inside the SSD and RAM bays - there was just too much of it for drainage holes to cope. But after few hours of drying it turned on and kept working like nothing happened.

The one that didn't survive died literally from a single drop, but it wasn't a water, it was a salty broth, something that conducts electricity way better than clear water. That single drop landed on exposed IEEE1394 AKA FireWire port, soaked through the case onto motherboard thanks to capillary action and fried the poor T61p that was turned on at the moment.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The biggest test for any laptop, ThinkPads included, is falling on a corner. If a laptop falls straight down, then the force of the fall is transferred through the whole chassis. If it falls on a corner, all the force is put onto that corner, and likely it there will be pretty severe damage.

3. jook33

jook33 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i will test it with my dead t500, what height/surface do you suggest

4. iCrazyNoob

iCrazyNoob Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    that's one evil drop of broth lol... rip to the t61
    I'm tempted to stand on my T420 main concern is the weight cracking the LCD = = the plastic cover feels really thin

5. moonwalker.syrius

Reputations:
    See post #30 in this thread by me. My W520 survived just fine exactly that kind of drop. That said, don't repeat that at home :)

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Can't step on my L420 (nor Y410p) without probably breaking something, and no I'm not overweight. L series doesn't have the rollcage/extra durability/MILspec.

However, both of my Lenovos have survived drops without nothing more than minor scratches. Go figure.

7. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Understood, but that's not what I was talking about. Let me make my point a bit clearer:

If you drop a machine that sports a LED-lit LCD in a manner that cracks the LCD while powered on, in 9 out of 10 cases you *will* blow the fuse on the board as well.

Which brings us to something that was supposed to be my next point and a huge heresy from a long-time ThinkPad user: I always felt that the entire "roll cage" thing was little more than a very clever marketing ploy on Lenovo's part.

Having managed a field-use-fleet of 800+ (mostly T2x series) ThinkPads at one time, I'm still above and beyond impressed how well they kept with the abuse, long before anyone had decided to come up with the "roll cage" buzzword...

8. moonwalker.syrius

Reputations:
    IIRC though they used a titan-magnesium composite for lid and parts of base before introducing the "roll-cage". That was also causing some troubles with wireless reception, I do distinctly remember having to put antenna in the palmrest area in the base instead of the lid on my T23 that I bought w/o WiFi originally, and even then I was still getting very crappy reception until I found the lid with specially cut out "windows" for antennas. Yet even with special lid the reception was still worse then with later models that had titan-magnesium roll cage separated from plastic casing. I think the wireless connectivity troubles was the main reason behind switching to "roll-cage" design instead of solid monolithic lid. I would say that it also probably a bit increased survivability, as plastic would be absorbing some of the impact energy while cracking whereas solid titan-magnesium lid would pass that impact shock onto electronics.

9. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The lid of my T440p is so flexy I could probably use it as a trampoline :D

10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Just don't mention it to your insurance company...trampoline on property = major hazard = high insurance rate or cancellation...:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.