Are Thinkpads still that tough? Stand on yours to prove it!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kordis, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had LCD screen that are LED-lit go out. It was easy to replace and there was no problem. I don't know why you would say a fuse on the board would blow out.

2. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you don't feel right about
    you shouldn't do it ofc, but there are those people who doesn't mind just playing such "games" over the forum. It's not that only you do such tests for them, but also they do it for you. Nobody demands you to do this and it's your choice whether you want to do this or not. I personally find it entertaining and informative when people both have the balls to do that and when thinkpads really withstand the weight as they should, only making them more trusty.

Starlight5 and voostro like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Did you drop them from a few feet height while powered on?

4. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    the fuse on the motherboard on ThinkPad with LED LCD do go out very easily.

5. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    It's interesting gauging the reactions of this thread, some being impressed while others absolutely abhor from what I've just done. The two notebooks are my own personal ThinkPads, they're not work issued and are paid out of my own expenses so there's a lot for me to lose doing this! But I was confident it can cope with my weight on top and carry on like nothing had happened. Why you might ask?

A couple years ago I was involved in a high speed traffic accident on a motorway (highway/freeway) after a foreign truck t-boned me from behind at 60 mph (97 km/h). It spun my car sideways, proceeded to smash me again (seeing the front of the truck coming towards you is scary!) and then made me hit the armco barriers going backwards. The backend of my car was wiped out (it's not a big car but a small VW hatchback - RIP), everything that was in my trunk was decimated including my Nokia phone which had cracked from impact (and you know how Nokias are supposed to be tough).

The 15.4" ThinkPad R61e that was in the trunk was found in a nearby ditch, it probably got thrown out of the smashed rear window on impact to the barriers. To be honest I didn't have much hope it survived as a lot of things was destroyed that night. The following day while dealing with the insurers I decided to assess the damage to the ThinkPad. Took it out and to my surprise there wasn't much apart from a small chip on the corner.

Switched it on using the original battery and the thing worked, it powered on and went to the OS like nothing had happened. I was gobsmacked, what did they put into this thing that not only can survive a truck smashing into it but being thrown in to a ditch at speed as well!? I did later sold that incredible ThinkPad (no room to keep it unfortunately), I mentioned its epic survival skills on the eBay listing and it was snapped up pretty quickly!

So that sums up why I have trust in my ThinkPads. While it's still not a good idea to stand on it at least its assuring to know that it has the strength to cope. Modern ThinkPads still strong? From my assessment - pretty much yeah! :D

6. thinkwierd

thinkwierd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I admire the Thinkpad marketing team. You guys did a very good job in promoting Thinkpads.

7. voostro

voostro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Coming soon to a forum near you.....'Get in a Car accident with your Thinkpad inside, and Post the Results !'

jk

Actually thanks for sharing, and glad YOU, and the Thinkpad survived !

I tend to agree with the 'entertainment factor of this thread, and the backing up/proof of tried and true robust build quality and toughness of a 'legend'

I watched the spill tests on youtube for the thinkpads and was seriously impressed, BUT can I get myself to do the same ?.....nah, rather watch lol.

I am very tempted to do a stand test on video and post it, of me and my mighty 185 lb-ness on my W530

but even though the build quality is very high, and the Thinkpad reputation 'stands' on it's own....

I can't help but think....delicate electronic parts are in there....something COULD go wrong, namely screen, I have something like $2000.00 usd dollars invested in this 6 lb. marvel of blackitude

I'll pass

I DO look forward to watching others videos though lol

kordis likes this.
  8. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    Lot of people do extreme things, but copying them may not end so well for most. Just look at the fail compilation on YouTube.

9. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, don't be so negative.

10. moonwalker.syrius

moonwalker.syrius Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Twice from about five feet. W520 had only plastic cracked in the lid corner and in the base corner. A22m (while not LED-backlit) had a crack across the corner of the screen, but that's about it. Both dropped on the concrete, W520 powered on but with closed lid, fell on corner, A22m powered on and with open lid, fell flat on the lid and base slammed closed on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.