Are there Windows laptops with MacBook quality screen?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by alavena, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alavena

alavena Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello. Everytime I check into stores I find no Windows laptops with screens as good as the cheapest MacBooks.
    The ones that cost less than 600 euro have crappy screens in which even at the best viewing angle the colors at the top don't match the colors at the bottom of the display. And it only takes a few degrees for them to be unreadable with washed out and inverted colors.

For instance, I'm writing this in a Samsung 300E I bought 5 years ago for less than 600. It's an i5 with 6 gig ram and dedicated Nvidia graphics that can even play games such as Skyrim, but if there's something I cannot use it for is editing photos. So, when I travel I download the pics from the camera but don't dare try to correct anything on them even though the computer is powerful enough to do it.

As for the more expensive laptops I see in stores, some have good matte displays (and cost 1000 euro and up) and the others that don't show that much color distortion are the ones with touchscreens. But even then, they can't give the huge viewing angles of MacBook screens, both Retina and standard.

Thanks for your answers.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is a good selection of Windows notebooks with wide viewing angle displays (IPS or other similar technologies) but you have to pay a bit extra. See my reviews (links in my signature) for some of those notebooks. There are also Windows notebooks with ultra high definition display options (the Dell XPS15 9550 / Precision M5510 is an example) but these display options currently carry a substantial additional cost.

The Samsung NP900X4C was my last notebook with a poor viewing angle display - inappropriate for what was otherwise a well-engineered premium notebook.

John

alavena and Spartan like this.
  3. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    are they there ... oh yes, and many a screen that makes my rMBP's look pretty sad. however of the best screens you will find those on non-consumer laptops in the 17" range. for example the HP Zbook 17" with the Dreamcolor display makes my rMBP, iMac and my ACD's look like cheap Walmart screens.

John has listed a couple more in the XPS 15 and one more of my favorites the 5510 and there are also the Lenovo P50 and P70 ( I tend to lean towards workstation laptops if no one noticed )

alavena likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.