Are there any recommended tweaks for SSDs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by kazaam55555, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simplified

Simplified The Most Awesome

Reputations:
    This was what I did to optimize my SSD (64GB Samsung 830). This is mainly to minimize writes.

Deactivated
    Prefetch
    Superfetch
    Defrag
    Hibernate
    Readyboost
    Readyboot
    Indexing
    System restore

Activated
    ACHI
    Over provisioning (10%)

Moved
    Pagefile to HDD
    IE9 temporary files moved to HDD

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Too bad you don't have more space for the pagefile. The SSD is a perfect spot for it. I've seen a modest performance gain with large memory apps when the pagefile is located on the SSD.

See "Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?" - Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Were superfetch and defrag enabled before you turned it off? Was TRIM enabled? Did you do a fresh install, or restore an image taken from a platter based HDD to the SSD?

3. Ferrari353

Ferrari353 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's how I have mine set up (as can be seen in my signature)
    Is AHCI better than RAID? And what is over provisioning?

--
    Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    RAID is for pairing identical hard drives to either boost performance or have data redundancy (or both if you have 3 or more hard drives). For optimal performance, your motherboard needs to support this feature, or you need to have an external controller card. Over-provisioning refers to an SSD having addition memory cells "locked out" from the user so that when cells that are used wear out, you don't lose capacity or performance.

Do a Google search for more in-depth explanations.

5. Ferrari353

Ferrari353 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We'll Im pretty sure the m17x comes in raid mode anyway even if raid isn't set up, so what does changing it to achi achieve over raid?

--
    Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk

6. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    I want to chime in that there is absolutely no noticeable benefit to disabling indexing, while there are quite a few detriments.

With indexing disabled, you cannot search from the start menu. Sure, we can search from the "search" in explorer, but I much prefer to press Start button and type what I want. Also, indexing is capable of cataloging file contents to allow for more detailed search results.

The size of the indexing file is a small fraction of a percent of the overall volume of an SSD. It is extremely improbable for the indexing service to actually impact the life of an SSD in any way.

Seriously... it's like buying a gorgeous, comfortable piece of furniture and then putting a plastic cover on it. Sure, it won't get dirty. But now, no one gets to see how comfortable it is to sit on.

I'd rather have a well functioning system vs. an SSD that sits on high and never gets any use out of it other than fast boot times, which happen less than once a week.

7. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I am going to get a new Sager in the near future, and was wondering about this tweaking of win 7. I am not arguing this point but ??? :eek:

8. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I couldn't have said it any better. This idea that indexing should be disabled for SSDs is sheer idiocy, plain and simple. There is no reason to turn off indexing on an SSD anymore than there is doing so on an HD, meaning, none. There is no performance or wear impact, but a significant loss in functionality.

As an aside, I just installed a Samsung 830 in one of my laptops, and I saw that, as part of the "OS Optimization" function in their Magician utility, they offer to turn off indexing, too. I would say that, for a manufacturer to subject their potentially computer-illiterate customers to this nonsense is near-criminal... :mad:

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Exactly. That was my point. I don't do this, so it is disabled. Why would I want my system to waste any resources on this? For the average user, keep it on. But if you do not use any of those things, then it may be something to look at.

In regards to an SSD, about the only thing you would gain would be disk space. TBH, I haven't researched how much space this consumes, but my guess is it all depends on what is on your drive to begin with. In my case, the memory and CPU cycles are what are unnecessary.

Again, if you want to turn it off, turn it off. If you do not, then do not.

10. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    But what? :p
    I just checked and my index file is about 215MB (0.28% of my 80GB SSD) and I have about 500GB of data that's indexed.

The ONLY reason drive indexing was included in the list of things to disable is because it's a process that does regular writes to the drive in a time were TRIM was uncertain and people were worried about the life of their expensive SSD's. They were looking for any discardable process, no matter how small. It's been sufficient debunked in that there is absolutely no negative impact on performance, resources, SSD life, and storage space.

jclausius, it's good that you don't see any need for the feature. For most other people, it's much more like shooting themselves in the foot... or an arrow to the knee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.