Are there any notebooks that could rival macbook air in terms of size and weight?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by MuffinMan123, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underpantman

Underpantman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here's something that might just put everything in perspective

Would the 13" be a killer notebook if it has an i5?
    probably...
    Does it suck that apple didn't put in there, and magically keep heat, battery life weight, size all the same or better.... yeap.
    But when you go out and compare, and try and find a good 13" laptop with a top notch screen, excellent battery life, in a thin attractive package... there isn't much else to choose from.... especially under $1000.
    a
    :)

2. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:

DITTO! :eek:

Each and every part that Apple cares to work on in the case of the MBP 13 contributes to a smooth computing experience.

3. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you look at the performance, the 13" MBP should be very similar to the ASUS U30JC overall, with the distinct advantage that it uses only integrated to get the same performance/battery life envelope as the U30JC's 310M/GMA HD switching - likely meaning that for GPU-intensive applications the MBP should have significantly better battery life.
    If you consider the MBP's advantages in quality, you could probably justify the extra $300 if that was what you were looking for.

4. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:

And that I do! But a PC user may not perceive the extra quality--hence this endless debate and their insistence on fixating on specs. I've nearly exhausted my research of potential 13.3" laptops and the last eligible candidate was the Vostro 3300. So far, the reviews seem to be "so-so."

5. lackofcheese

lackofcheese Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What I find strange is that the 13" MBP is the best deal of the new MacBooks, yet people are complaining about it more than about the 15" or 17".

6. Jiten

Jiten Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I'm one of those foolish overpaying 13 Macbook Pro buyers. Kinda confuses me too why some folks get so worked up. I mean its not like Apple is the only game in town so they have no choice. Its not like Mac fags like me are using public tax money to buy our overpriced Macs. :D

I guess, bantering is kinda fun and relieves stress. :p

Nah I get it now, its just unrequited desire for a i5 13 inch Macbook Pro right? RIGHT?

7. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    i5 gets a meh from me, especially if it'll just raise the price tag closer to the MBP 15/17 lines. A good number of Mac users are rightfully upset. But even with this minor refresh, they found a sweet spot in the market full of customers who just want everything besides power that's good about Macs.

8. chris-m

chris-m Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wait - I think I've got it!

In an ideal world, the 1199 model would have an i3 and the 1499 model would have an i5. Problem solved. Everyone's happy.

Who am I kidding. There will still be something. :)

9. Underpantman

Underpantman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^
    Yeap... USB3, HDMI, higher res screen, lightpeak.
    Come to think of it, perhaps apple put a c2d in on purpose, just to take one for the team so that no one would notice anything else..lol
    a
    :)

10. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    not HDMI... Apple finally added audio to the mini-DP ports, so you can get a simple single plug in HDMI adapter for full audio and video out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.