Are refurbished laptops just as good as new?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mikozee, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope so. Despite getting well-used (driving cross-country in an open-wheel race car [see my avatar] tends to be somewhat rough on them), my previous systems (see below) still work, they're just not fast enough these days.

I expect I'm older than you, actually...

The previous system was an HP dv5139us from 2006, IIRC. The one before that was a Latitude C640 which was so long ago, I'm not sure when it was acquired.

When I upgrade the system I travel with, the previous one moves into the garage/shop where I don't mind it getting dirty.

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    Refurb from the brand companies like HP, Dell and Lenovo are pretty good in terms of quality and price. While, there are some online sellers whom are passing off used machines as refurbs and jacking up the price in the process, which are not so good.

My friend have encountered a store that sold him a T410 as brand new machine, when in fact it was used and had lot of private data from the previous owner (and lot of minor scratches). When he took the machine back to the store, the guy refused a refund and told him that the store never sold him that particular machine.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was able to get an (after calling no less than 4 times trying to get through to the "return department") RMA, and the system is going back. I meant to say that I couldn't get a replacement because I need the money more.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Hrm, well next time try Dell Chat. They gave me a direct line to the return department and I had a really nice representative. They issued me an RMA in about 5 minutes and the label was emailed to me the same day.

5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I don't think there will be a next time, but if there is, I will definitely do that.

Weird thing is, the system was scheduled to arrive at Dell today, but in UPS' infinite wisdom, they tried to deliver at 6:30 a.m. :rolleyes: Obviously, the warehouse wasn't open yet, so there's been an exception put on the package that they'll try again tomorrow. I hope this was just a fluke because I really, really don't want to have this sent back to me, meaning we'll have to repeat this process again.

6. Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well Hopefully the new laptops have had the breakin test run in the factory before they are released to be sold.

7. iclicku

iclicku Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that your refurb didn't work out so well Saturnotaku. I've purchased several refurbs from Dell and they've all been good deals so far. So don't write Dell off too soon :)

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I said in the M11x order-status thread that I'm actually angling to get a netbook paid for by work. That means most likely a Lenovo since we use them at the office. I'm hoping they'll go for an X120e. Small, reasonably powerful, and very professional looking. My boss is onboard. He just has to convince the brass to make it a reality. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.