Are refurbished laptops just as good as new?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mikozee, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The ones I've bought from Dell all had a 1 year warranty just like buying a new one.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Alot of manufacturer refurbished models sold to retail stores only have a 90 day warranty as they are specially priced for retail, but most manufacturer refurbished models FROM the manufacturer have the standard 1-3 year warranty.

Every mainstream Latitude model has a 3 year warranty included.

3. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a scratch & dent Studio 1558 (from an eBay seller, but it was in a sealed Dell box and had 360 days left on the warranty, so the eBay seller was just a middleman).

The lid had a noticable chip in it, the palmrest had 2 scratches in it, and the keys and Windows/Intel/EnergyStart palmrest stickers had some unidentifiable crud on their edges.

As I was planning on changing the lid (to add broadband antennas), and keyboard (to add backlighting), I just swapped the palmrest at the same time. Even with all of that, it was a steal. I further upgraded it to create the system in my signature:

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Terry,

The system in your signature does look impressive, but how much did this 'steal' cost in the end?

5. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too much. It just sort of grew (the "dreaded expansion of the goals").

The original notebook had the i7-740 CPU, 1080p panel (but glossy, not matte), 6GB, 500GB hard drive and 9-cell battery. It also had a DVD recorder and a WiFi card (but not the one I'm using now). It was $699 scratch & dent from Dell.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    lol nice spending 3/4 of the laptop cost on a 256 GB SSD. :p

It's been 3+ months since my Latitude 13 came in, no issues to report whatsoever!

7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:

Well, I hope you enjoy it for a good long time.

I have been there/done that myself - but I'm (much) older now. ;)

A little advice?

Don't let the cost of this system prevent you from upgrading to a newer/better platform (as they present themselves). If you need the power the new systems can offer, simply swallow the cost you've already paid and get the technology (tools!) that you need to get your work done effectively and efficiently.

Just don't repeat what you've done here again, okay? :D

8. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Guys --

For "scratch & dent", is it generally a small spec of paint, or is it like getting your car keyed by a psychotic x-girlfriend kind of "scratch"? I was considering that category from the outlet, but I have my doubts.

Some of them are 10% less than certified refurbished too.

9. leslieann

leslieann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends, but in general, unless you are getting a significant discount, DON'T.

I got my SZ as a demo unit, works great, but I paid 2/3rds normal price. Had something been wrong, I could replace anything on it and still been ahead.

On the other hand, my old SX, was a refurb I got from a customer, it was a Sony factory refurb, but still had a fried modem, which was built onto the mobo. Another customer of mine bought a refurb Hp tablet. In 4 years it ate 3 hard disks. One drive, okay, ou got a bad drive, one drive every 15 months, and you have to suspect the system. I used to buy S.F.F. refurbs/off lease systems for customers, and soon found they were bad as well. They consistently had problems, regardless f brand. However, my personal sff refurb/off-lease server has been great.

They can be deals or complete hassles.
    Know who you are dealing with, and know what it will take to fix any problems before you buy.

10. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From Dell scratch&dent for me it was like a small spec of paint kind of deal. The regular refurbs I would not have been able to tell they were brand new. I don't have any idea about any other vendors though or if my results were typical though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.