Are refurbished laptops just as good as new?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mikozee, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For a little less than $700, I got the laptop in my sig refurbished from Lenovo Outlet. That's a hell of a price, and it hasn't let me down yet.

2. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually, I've ordered 2 scratch and dents from Dell. I was leery about doing it at first, but then heard good things about them and how minor the damage really was. On mine, I could not believe how minor the scratches were. One had two parallel 3mm long scratches on the palm rest that were hardly noticeable. The other had limited swirl marks on the glossy lid (that were easily polished out).

3. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some times they actually get new part replacements that were updated after the initial product run. So for example, you could get a version B3 video card, instead of the original B1 that the product originally shipped with (that was just an example) which might have small improvements.

4. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    No... as I said I wouldn't. Non-virgin is non-virgin even if it looks like new :D
    I'd rather buy second hand or better - brand-new.
    A matter of personal choice. :)

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I just got burned buying a refurbed Alienware M11x. The system looked fine, but when I took it out of the box, one of the screws on the bottom was stripped so it rattled around. Unfortunately, I can't get the machine replaced because I need the money for some unexpected household repairs that have cropped up in the meantime. C'est la vie.

6. KSD

KSD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i disagree most reburbs i have seen come with 0-90 day warrenties compared to the 1-2 years brand new ones come with but that is something you just need to look into

also saturn what are you talking about...a loose screw? who cares? a loose screw causes the harm. i actually have taken screws out becuase i get tired of removing 10-15 screws to open my computer.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    What? Dell should have a 21 day return policy on the refurbs. I would call up Dell or talk with them on chat to get a refund/replacement.

Most likely it was an M11x with the hinge issues and was never repaired right. :eek:

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont have any data to go by.

However it stands to reason that there are fewer problems with refurbished as opposed to new. there are no longer manufacturers defects because someone has tested it.

9. spacejamz

spacejamz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You didn't mention where you bought it from? Was it from Dell or somewhere that you have contacted to work something out?

10. 00940

00940 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You certainly should check warranty before buying as it is often short for refurbished computers.

Some are sold with long term warranty though. My elitebook (bought refurbished) had a standing warranty of almost two years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.