Are refurbished laptops fine?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by DrewNess, Jun 22, 2021.

1. DrewNess

DrewNess Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys I've been looking for a thin and light powerfull laptop for work. The most important thing is that its lightweight since I'm transporting my PC alot.

I found a local website that is selling used laptops so I was thinking of giving a refurbished laptop a try since they are alot cheaper, but what are you guys' experience with used PCs? I heard those business laptops are supposed to last much longer than regular PCs you can buy but Im unsure if thats a rumour or not.

Link: https://remarket.dk/brugte-baerbare/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-intel-core-i5-8350u-1-7-ghz/
    Price ~ 1200$

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I mean a refurbished laptop has been used before. The question is how long for and under what load? Perhaps someone was mining crypto on it? You don't know. The expected lifetime will be reduced accordingly. Still, if you can get a good deal from a reputable outlet, ideally with a long enough warranty, it should be fine.

DrewNess likes this.
  3. DrewNess

DrewNess Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah that is a good point indeed.
    They come with 2 years warranty, so I think It'll be fine.

Thank you :)

etern4l likes this.
  4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would trust a manufacturer certified refurbished over Used or Open Box. If the reseller simply takes in a return product, "checks" all components are included and working, and sells it again as Used or Open Box you have a potential can of worms. If the product was actually returned to the manufacturer for refurbishment you're far more likely to get a working product.

Falkentyne and etern4l like this.
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Here in the US, not sure about Sweden, if you buy a refurbished notebook directly from the manufacturer, it's most likely a return sold with a discount, which is pretty much the same as new. If it's refurbished by a third party, you don't get the backing of the manufacturer warranty. I believe Dell does have a good Euro Outlet. You may want to look there for a XPS 13. I'm mot sure if other makers like HP, Acer or Lenovo offer anything similar in Europe.

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would stay away from the Carbon's as they are a coin flip on what you end up with. I had a boss that had one that kept having issues all of the time. Limited experience pool to draw from but, then again I had a Legion Y720 that worked perfectly fine for a couple of years before selling it.

Refurb's aren't a bad deal if you're confident in your skills opening up the chassis to inspect things if something does go awry. You should be able to score an I7 9th or 10th gen for less than that pricing. Look for a Clevo / Sager or rebranded option from a reseller local to you. They're a bit unbranded but the internals are what you're looking for when it comes to spending $ on these things. I picked up my I7-9750H awhile back for ~$750 shipped and then threw in the upgrades I wanted to do myself.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This has already been done if you are buying refurbished directly from the manufacturer or an authorized reseller.

8. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was talking about post delivery / outside of the shorter warranty. Even OE refurbs sometimes a component will go out like WIFI and will require a swap which is cheap and easy if you're confident about it. Switching out an upgraded drive vs what shipped with it. Adding RAM to suit your use instead of the generic cheapest stuff that ships with it.

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ??

its already been checked

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Personally, I find getting the WiFi antennas attached to the card to be the most tedious job known to man.