1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Are ASUS laptops reliable?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Death Ro, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guyserbun2007

Guyserbun2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My A8jm died within a yr of purchase, their repair service was great though. Within the year, I brought it to school back and forth almost everyday but it was never dropped or severely bumped. After the repair, I treated it as a desktop, it didn't have a problem ever since.

I am not an expert, but I think, counter-intuitively, a lot of laptops in the market are not meant to be carried around intensely, esp the ones with normal hard-drive as opposed to Solid-state-drive. That's why I am thinking of getting an EEE pc or Dell E solely for portability purposes.

2. AlexF

AlexF Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very specific to the model. Before buying, it's always a good idea to check the forums here to see if people have had problems with that particular model.

3. NZwaverider

NZwaverider Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have owned a W3J since it was first released, I upgraded RAM, CPU and HDD and is still running fast.

I have used it on work trips all over the CIS beacuse I can rely on it runing all the software I need and can hook it up to any display and know it will work, where my colleagues dell will often not run Google earth on a second monitor and will take ages to open and pan around large A0 pdfs.

So with my experience I would have to say mine has been very reliable.

I had to send my gilfriends F3J in for service the headphone/spdif jack went, which meant it needed a motherboard replacement, which was replaced without problem and has also run solidly running dual XP/Vista set up for over a year and a half now. :D

4. Death Ro

Death Ro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm, I just read the review and it says that the W3J has an excellent build. A lot of people are saying that ASUS used to make really sturdy laptops but now they're not so great. The F8Sn-D1 is one of their newest laptops and the review on Notebookcheck has me a bit worried.

5. p190x

p190x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My A8js laptop had to be sent for repairs 4 times in one year, until I decided that I wanted a replacement or a refund. As a replacement they offered me a worse model (A8 something: it had a 8400gs card that they claimed was way far superior than the 7700!!!, plus lower res screen and so on), which I didn't accept. I than requested a refund that took almost 3 months just to get processed. It is now July and I still don't have my money, despite the fact that this circus started back in February (6 months ago). So, my opinion... Don't get an Asus laptop. While they have a reasonable price/performance relation, their quality can be abismal. I bought a Dell M2300 in the mean time, and I couldn't be happier.

One thing that I found really annoying was that Asus was slow to release updates, if they even released them. One example of this were the Bios updates: the latest version of the BIOS on their website was 211, but there was a 213 version that was released by someone that solved some issues, but Asus never updated it in their website. If I recall it correctly, the 211 version didn't allow you to control screen brightness with under Vista if you used the most up-to-date drivers (from laptopvideo2go of course, because their versions were quite old). Bios 213 allowed it.

Asus could have produced high quality laptops a few year ago, but not anymore. in fact, that was the reason for me to buy an Asus: I asked around and had several friends that were quite happy with their 2005/2006 laptops. Now, not sure anymore. I've heard people complaining about the F8 screen quality, robson problems and so on, that makes me think they are still producing low quality products. In my opinion, the lower price you it's not worth the risk of lower quality.

6. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I own a Asus A6G for over 3 years now. I took it with me travelling the world for over a year. It's still runs well. The battery can still last over 1.5 hours.

I've had 2 problems:
    -defect headphones jack, which Asus repaired in warranty.
    -defect DVD drive, which Asus failed to repair.

Is Asus reliable? yes pretty reliable I would say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.