1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Are ASUS laptops reliable?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Death Ro, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death Ro

Death Ro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've done some research on ASUS laptops and they seem to perform very well for the price, but I'm wondering how reliable they are. Are there a lot of defective ASUS laptops? Do they break easily?

I know they have a free 1 year accident warranty and a 2 year parts and labor warranty. But that kind of scares me because it may be because they've had a lot of problems (or they just want to attract more customers, I don't really know).

This is the one I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220331

One of the reviews said it stopped working after 2 days...

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    As reliable as any other computer.

LOL at the "one review" part.

3. Oldman

Oldman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, they are reliable.

Now, if you want you can to make unbiased research based on Newegg reviews and include other brands and check out what owners of other brands speak out about their good or bad luck.

It will be very interesting to see statistics and to know who are good guys and who are not after you finish your research

4. mcfaddenator

mcfaddenator Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very reliable, however, I found them a little overpriced, even with the free 2-year accident warranty (which costs $90 at other companies). I can get the same features for a little less at other places like Dell. All for all, a great maker.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, reliability huh? Well, I'm a C90S owner so all I can say about reliability is... "meh".

6. Lysander

Lysander AFK, raid time.

Reputations:
    SOme of their models have obvious design flaws, but if you get one of their better models, it should hold up great.

7. NightWalker

Reputations:
    Lysander,

By "obvious design flaws", do you mean well documented flaws?

The C90S should never have had the majority of the issues it did have but there was no way of knowing this ahead of time when I bought it in September of 2007. I would not recommend it now though because of the many issues that are documented on this site now.

8. NightWalker

Reputations:
    Also,

From what I've seen in these forums, generally Asus laptops are a pretty decent deal and have great warranties. Just be sure to read all the reviews of the particular model you are looking at to make sure there are no specific issues.

9. Asusteve

Asusteve Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Avoid the F3 series. They crack at palm rest right hand corner of keyboard. UK repair and Holland service is absolutely terrible, although USA tech is apparently second to none.

I would buy a Sony Vaio. Even though made by Asus, it has Sony quality.

10. Dire NTropy

Dire NTropy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the same model as the one you're thinking of and its held up very well. I use it heavily at work (I program) and also at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.