Apple wins AND loses Epic Games Dispute LOL

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by hertzian56, Sep 12, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...nt-methods-on-apps-in-its-Store.560921.0.html

It says apple won the case but also has to allow links to third party payment methods in its store or something like that.

"However, there is a sting in the tail for the apparent victor of this lawsuit. Gonzalez Rogers has also determined that the App Store policy by which only first-party payments are allowed is "anticompetitive" and should be stopped. Therefore, the tech behemoth must now permit alternative payment methods, whether through links or other methods, within apps made for Apple devices."

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am still wondering how they won if they have to allow everything they were fighting against? I need to goto that court room with some stuff!

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They won through Carefully written App guidelines violation and Apple's "Privacy Centric Approach" which forces everyone to comply or side with Apple as if they are Godsend!

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But the south korean government states otherwise and apple have to comply or leave the market.

5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    They only won in regards to epic games specifically my read over all, I don't know the fine details though. So looks like they don't have to pay up to epic specifically. What's the difference between Anti-competitive and anti trust? Must be that technical difference.
    I think it's the technicality of having the apple pay ONLY, the court says they can have apple pay option but they have to allow ways within apps/stores to pay other ways. Kind of a win for everyone else since now they can use their own payments instead of apples.

Who knows how that will work out though, reminds me of when ebay basically shut out paypal as the default payment method on both buyer/seller sides. I mean technically you can still do paypal but with ebay managed payments takeover I have no idea how I'd use paypal for almost anything ebay on the seller side now. Buyer side simple at checkout w separate login etc But if you already have managed payments seems kinda pointless to go through someone else on the other side. Passive aggressive.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is not a black and white case of one party winning and the other losing.

Papusan likes this.
  7. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Uh hence the title of the thread LOl

Papusan likes this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah I didn't read it as a winner / loser

hertzian56 and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Epic's Tim Sweeney Explodes After Apple Refuses To Allow Fortnite Back Into The App Store hothardware.com | Sep 22, 2021

A court ruling earlier this month wasn't a decisive victory for either Apple or Epic Games regarding the pair's legal battle over App Store payments. While Epic scored a win in allowing app developers to choose alternative payment methods for in-app purchases, it also had to pay Apple 30 percent of its revenues for for directing iOS users to the Epic Direct Payment System.

hertzian56 likes this.
  10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Beat me to it I was just about to post this lol

Papusan likes this.