Apple Updates MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Insane New 2880x1800 Notebook Display Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by J.R. Nelson, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw this screen and while the OS and text looked beautiful and sharp, images on websites were blurred. I guess I'm not really seeing the appeal...there's really no way around that, right?

2. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Reputations:
    In a resolution-aware browser, bitmapped images should look exactly like they would on a non-retina display (similar to how non-updated iPad apps on the iPad 3 should result in an experience equivalent to the same app on an iPad 2).

3. Baloney

Baloney Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's really what I'm worried about... nothing is designed for screens of this resolution!

4. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    not to be the stick in the mud but its not all celebratory. initial screen calibrations for the retina display show it to be about 65-69% RGB gamut. resolution is not everything especially to designers

5. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    that was such a bummer, I was hoping a lot more in the house of 80-90%

6. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Reputations:
    Ditto. Curious to see more testing done.

7. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [citation needed]

8. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Same here as well, calibratable screens are a must for me and my 15" could use replaced

from DPreview

How long do you think it will take them to update the suite?

No idea. Maybe Adobe will make an announcement later today.

How will images edited on a retina screen translate to other screens?

They will look bigger.

Now for my questions:

How well will these new IPS screens calibrate?

How much dynamic range can they handle? -oops, Apple answered this one already. Looks good, although It will be interesting to see results from third party testing.

What sort of color gamut do the screens have?

Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Features

Got mine this afternoon and calibrated using Lacie Blue eyes pro. calibration is almost the same as last years 15" but a bit worse on greens. see attachment. black levels are great though :confused:

Attached Files:

9. kto

kto Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I played with the RMBP at the Apple store yesterday. Obviously I was impressed with the size and screen :)

I tend to avoid 15" laptops as I feel they are just too big and heavy for frequent portable use. The RMBP still felt big, but I did feel I could live with it for heavy portable use. It's so surprisingly light for a 15" and it felt more like an oversized 14" *cough cough e6420* than a 15".

The thinness is amazing, but I do have to wonder if Apple could have made it a few mm thicker to allow for a standard SSD. I don't know if a few mm would have made much difference to the overall feel of the laptop. I think it's a little early in the game to preclude DIY storage upgrades - but I suppose people willing to spend $2200 for such a laptop will be open to paying more for the higher spec model.

I suppose it would have been a big headache to make it thicker now and shrink it down when 512MB+ SSDs became standard.

10. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    very disappointing if this is the standard experience.

I'd really like to have seen at least 85%-95% of the Adobe RGB spectrum covered. yes, the black level performance is known to be good.

In the mean time, this may answer some contrast questions.

AnandTech - MacBook Pro Retina Display Analysis

It's not as bright of a panel, but the black levels and contrast are literally TWICE as good as last year's model. That said, it's really suprising to hear that it doesn't have the RGB spectrum covered better given its IPS nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.