Apple Updates MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Insane New 2880x1800 Notebook Display Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by J.R. Nelson, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yep and on top of that, they need to start using better quality panels as well. All of the 1366x768 panels I've tested in the last several years have shown poor color saturation (probably 60-70% gamut at best though I don't have a way to measure), gray-ish blacks instead of true blacks, and bad viewing angles (even for TN panels).

I'm more than interested to see how this ultra high-res introduction from Apple will affect the rest of the notebook market. My guess is PC makers saw it coming but, since 99% of consumers don't have a clue what they're buying unless Apple tells them, they'd have no way to effectively market the high resolution (and therefore no way to sell it at a higher price).

Now that high resolution is introduced to the mainstream spotlight (at these prices, it will not be in mainstream circulation for a while though), PC makers can start piggybacking off of Apple's marketing and knowledge spreading.

2. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Physically, the screen has 2880x1800 pixels yes. You are right about the scaling ... OS X is choosing to use those pixels to simulate screen resolutions ranging of 1024x640, 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050, and 1920x1200. I think it's pretty nice feature to be able to simulate a wide range of resolutions like that without the typical issues associated with running monitors at non-native resolutions.
    AnandTech - How the Retina Display MacBook Pro Handles Scaling

As expected applications need to be using the standard OS X GUI APIs for the rendering to work properly though. Otherwise this happens.
    AnandTech - Chrome Canary Fixes Rendering Issue with Retina MacBook Pro

Most apps (I think) would elect to use the standard APIs so I doubt this will be a widespread issue.

3. soulzero

soulzero Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks to apple, I'm glad my next notebook I can buy a 15" or 14" with high resolution :). I only brought my gate NV-75s 17" because of the resolution (1600x900) vs. the 15.4" counter part (majority of all lower end 15.4" and 14") has 1366x768. My little net book has 11.6" and has that resolution, it's pitiful!

Push forward high resolution! :)

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm all for the new panel but would have been happy with a better 1080P screen, I only see the super high res screen really useful for photo and video editing other than that it might be a huge waste of screen real estate, don't get me wrong I think it's gret that APPLE is taking this big step but the price....man the price...!

5. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But the point is that you don't get real estate, you get the same lower resolution as before but sharper image due to scaling for example it would be the same as wxga+ where each pixel would be represented by 4 pixels in the new retina display.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Reputations:
    Actually you can get either. Plus, as apps become retina aware, devs will be able to do both within a single app.

7. NBReview1

NBReview1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With all the talk of "revolutionary" as always with Apple, I have to disagree. Apple sacrificed so that they could fit everything inside. If your MBP gets corrupted, you are heading back to Apple for a full replacement. Not an elegant solution for a computer aimed for business I think.

8. J.R. Nelson

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by corrupted?

9. NBReview1

NBReview1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was thinking the RAM

10. J.R. Nelson

Reputations:
    I don't know anyone who had to replace their laptop RAM due to 'corruption'. I won't say it never happens, but...near as likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.