Apple Updates MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Insane New 2880x1800 Notebook Display Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by J.R. Nelson, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    point conceded

2. Khoiboi

Khoiboi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm pretty ignorant to the whole world of color gamut and whatnot, so I'm going to consider myself the typical laptop user. I do minor upgrades to the RAM and harddrive, I can do basic partitions and etc, and I know basic computer stuff to build my own. My point is, literally don't know what the heck you guys are talking about for the past three pages so I can assume that most users wouldn't care about this specialized knowledge (the whole 65% color gamut thing, no idea what it means).

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rMBP because I don't need it. Typing 10-20 pages of reports a day can be tiring on the eyes, but I still don't see a legit use for a screen with a higher resolution than 1080p. I'm assuming the folks that utilize photoshop and other esoteric design software are going to fall into the small minority and will be knowledgable enough to differentiate a good screen from a bad one.

3. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We deal only with things that we "need"? On a laptop forum where just about all of us have much more than the minimum we need? The irony should be obvious.

It will be easier on the eyes. Applications that are optimized for it will be decidedly crisper. For comparison, go look at the text on an iPad 2, then look at the same text on a new iPad. The difference is pretty clear, and if you spend a lot of time at your computer typing/reading/whatever, your eyes will get used to the difference and you'll appreciate it.

There is always a legit reason for higher resolutions.

4. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just adding confrimation to this man's findings:

AnandTech - The next-gen MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review

"Apple made no mention of impact to color accuracy or color gamut. It turns out that the omission was for good reason, the Retina Display offers no improvement along either vector. The numbers show a slight regression compared to last year’s panel but the difference is imperceivable."

That said, this is the first Mac to ever receive Anandtech's Editor's Choice award. That's a pretty big deal.

5. iPhoneblaster

iPhoneblaster Newbie

Reputations:
    Apple has updated its MacBook Pro with the addition of the highest-resolution screen currently used in a laptop. As rumored for some time, the latest Pro model features a 2880x1800 pixel 15.4" display panel. The screen, which equates to a resolution of 220 pixels per inch, is being branded as a 'Retina' display - Apple's name for a display with pixels too small to discern at a sensible working distance. The cheapest version, which features a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 processor and 8GB of RAM, will cost $2199. The MacBook Pro is likely to herald a wave of high-resolution screens on laptops and mobile devices, with companies such as Sharp developing high-res, low-power displays.

As is usual with Apple, it's not yet known who is providing the MacBook Pro's display, but it is common knowledge that Sharp has been working on IGZO (Indium gallium zinc oxide) displays that can offer higher resolutions and lower energy consumption than conventional amorphous silicon designs. Sharp proposed that its technology could offer 10 inch screens with 2,560 x 1,600 pixels - more densely packed, at 300 ppi, than the panel in the Macbook. It has already started production but the specifications of the panels it's making have not been announced.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.