Apple Store Tax vs. Online?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by xfiregrunt, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snork

snork Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since I'm not a student, I've purchased 2 Macbooks from Amazon.com. Usually the lowest prices available, no tax (in NJ at least), and Amazon's super fast shipping and easy return policy if needed. I'm an Amazon Prime member too, so $3.99 overnight or free 2nd day shipping.

2. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, if a person gonna buy an iPad(599$) and mb pro(2100$ with extras) in LA, CA,
    what will be the taxes in Apple retail store in LA, and in Applestore.com ? where will be better to buy?

My brother is in LA for now, and i wanna order him to buy some apple stuff, cos in Russia for e.t.c iPad(32gb) costs nearly 1'100-1300$, and those mb pro 15", 2.4ghz, with extras(hi-res screen, 500gb hdd 5400rpm) costs here 2800$.. :)

3. snork

Reputations:
    At the Apple retail store you will pay all applicable state and local taxes. At the Apple store online, you will pay all applicable taxes to the delivery destination. For example: I live in New Jersey, but if I have my order shipped to my office in New York I would have to pay the higher New York tax rate.

All Apple stores only deliver to their respective countries, so you can't order on the US Apple store and have it shipped to Russia:(

4. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    snork,
    Thanks for info, yeah i know about delivery, but my brother is in states now(la, ca), and he could buy that stuff for me and then give me after return to russia.

5. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're in northern NJ, check out Microcenter in Paterson. It's 3.5% sales tax there. They sometimes have laptop deals no other merchants can touch (like Sony Z and 13" MBP which I bought both from there). How about a brand new MC226/227 for $1599 (never mind it's the old C2D model)? I just picked up another MC374LL open box customer's return from them today for $809 (yes 809), looks and smells brand new, nothing missing.

6. snork

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've heard of that place and checked out their website but I've never been there. Paterson usually isn't a town that I frequent even though it's probably only 45 minutes from me;)

7. GadgetsNut

GadgetsNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm about 40min from there myself. That store is literally right off of I80 so you don't have to go *into* Paterson ;) It really is a supermarket for computer stuff. If you ever pass by the area definitely go check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.