Apple Software/Firmware update addresses throttling issues across all Macbook Pro 2018 Models

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by electrosoft, Jul 24, 2018.

1. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    "Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we've identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro," noted an Apple spokesperson. "A bug fix is included in today's macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended."

"We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems," Apple added. "Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70 percent faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to [two times] faster, as shown in the performance results on our website."

Apple moved quick even for them on this one and a new update is available to address the throttling issue.

What type of performance it will yield will be interesting to see and to see if it matches the results of notebookcheck which estimated a top consistency of ~1000 in CB15 performance wise.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...n-2018-macbook-pros-with-free-software-update

"Free" software update lol.

hmscott likes this.
  2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bet they are limiting the chip full potential so it does not throttle lol. What a waste.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

What kind of insanity is apple trying to pull here :'D

Is this going to be an i9 with a TDP of 10 watts?

4. ahmad hendeh

ahmad hendeh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It went from being 2Ghz@99C to 2.8Ghz@96c

People over r/apple are celebrating and thanking apple for their I9 CPU going from 860 in CB to 1000.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Papusan likes this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Here's Dave Lee back with an update on the patch for the i9 Macbook.

electrosoft and hmscott like this.
  6. ahmad hendeh

Reputations:
    20180725_043514.jpg Screenshot_20180725-043413_YouTube Vanced.jpg

Still trash.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know I watched the video. That's really unnecessary.

The Macbook Pro now runs how it should. Dave Lee explains that it runs at similar clock speeds to the XPS 15. So another thin an light laptop on the Windows side is showing that's about what you can expect from the i9 in a laptop that thin.

The real take away from this should be that Apple did something to fix a problem. It never should've been released that way, but atleast it's fixed. And it was because people spoke up and called Apple out. This is a good thing.

That being said, since the i9 can't stretch it's legs to its full potential in such thin laptops they honestly shouldn't be in anything other than thicker laptops that can cool them properly. That includes windows laptops. So where is the hate for the XPS 15 with an i9?

8. ahmad hendeh

Reputations:
    The I9 they are selling can't beat a stock I7.

The XPS throttles less. Even then I still consider the laptop ****.

The GS65, the aero 15x, RB2018 proved that adequately cooling top tier hardware is possible in thin chassis. Apple, the most profitable company on air has the financial resources into making a laptop that can cool an I9 8950HK probably without losing the thin chassis. But why invest money if the sheep will defend this corner cutting 1 heatsink design that apple has been rocking since 2016?

hmscott likes this.
  9. brruno

brruno Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm curious to know if the firmare includes unvervolting the CPU .. Can someone with the i9 run windows and check the performance and CPU voltage ?

Still, its still bad. There are thin and light laptops with the basic i7-8750H with better performance than booth the i7-8850H and i9-8950HK inside those Macbooks . And with much more powerfull graphics ..

hmscott likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, Just no, look at the Asus running at friggn 4.8ghz meanwhile the mnacbook pro, which costs like 100% more only runs at 2.9ghz, the difference is massive. Even the I7 8750H castrated edition is faster than the I9.

The funny part is, they actually undervolted the CPU. Meaning this is what you get, 2.9ghz, done, end of story. Meanwhile smaller notebooks in the thin and light segment at least get low 3ghz on a much cheaper price with an "inferior" cpu. At this point apple is scamming the people out there.