Apple should move to AMD for their high end Macbooks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by electrosoft, Mar 30, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So every app is the same. Meaning puts the same processes on the device.

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Python3 runs fine on arm, Anaconda has archiconda, VSCode (or at least the community) has compiled arm versions from VSCode open source. I know because they run on my Jetson Nano - arm + Nvidia setup, no x86 whatsoever. Even has the full CUDA SDK on there, now, along with much of Nvidia's toolchain.

React Native, Fiddler, Electron all rely on common frameworks that are on arm already. Electron has released arm binaries before (and it's also open source). I haven't really followed much, since I only use web development for maintaining websites, not creating web apps.

Either way, I learned a long time ago to stop thinking Apple's "courage" was anything but. Where they go, the industry follows. Luckily, most companies were too cheap to implement a touchbar, otherwise we'd be stuck with that nonsense (and yes, I know Lenovo did the eink touchbar first and Acer tried to remove the fn-keys altogether).

Vasudev and electrosoft like this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would love to have the touchbar on my computer, but not at the expense of my touchscreen. It's apples way of trying to backpedal they are screwing up with no touchscreens. I love the apple faithful too claiming why would you want fingerprints over your monitor.....however they think the ipad and iphone are the second coming!

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Then its good. Usually I see Win32 or Win64 builds along amd64 and intel-x86 and have not seen ARM builds.

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When one maker is too reliant on another to build the heart and brain of their system... They hv lost the initial creativity they had held for long. By the time they move back to build their heart and brain for their product... They've lost their souls.
    I won't buy a MacBook with a blue heart, so as the red.
    I'll only go for the Appley heart, even if they're going to taste sour...

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have no issues with the hardware of my iphone and ipad. The software on the ipad and macbook is terrible however. The macbook is stale and boring, the ipad is a giant iphone. The hardware is TOP NOTCH however for mobile. I will not buy a macbook of any flavor. Not until I see touchscreen usage with 2 in 1 form factors with pencil support. I would possibly move to apple then. But not what they are offering now.

I will not move from iphone either. If microsoft were to resurect 10 mobile and actually put some grunt behind it. I would go that route. But android is terrible.

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    EXCLUSIVITY.
    That's the "TAGWORD" which APPLE tries to market their product since the early 2000s. However, when APPLE doesn't build/make their own hearts and brains anymore, that's not the APPLE i knew anymore.

Software can be "boring" due to it's limitation to specific Operating System that's tied to.

Hardware can be "boring" because it's often lack lusture when compared to other systems that are more accomodating to other OSes(besides Windows, there's Linux in different distros, as well as the rising Chrome). Thanks to Hackintosh and Ryzentosh available on Intel and AMD systems, now one can enjoy the snappiness on other devices other than the money juicing hardware that bears the APPLE badge with high price tagged. However, certainly, be it Hackintosh or Ryzentosh, they'll have their limitations...

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Announced just then, apple a series Macs. Look very interesting actually.