Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Tinderbox (UK), Dec 19, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have yet to have any of my android batteries last longer physically than my iphone. I was swapping out my batteries in my Samsung after only 1 year because they could not keep a charge longer than an hr. I agree apple should have given a warning. Android phones ARE exhibiting the same problems....their batteries wear out after a year or two as well....but instead of throttling to keep your full day charge...they just go flat in 2-3 hrs instead. I know, I own them.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How come my 2 year old iphone 6s is not throttled? The x will not be throttled until the battery is REALLY bad. my phone still has 95% battery life left. NOT THROTTLED, my ipad 2, has 10 percent battery life left....it has been throttled back, but Is still useable for 6 plus hrs a day under heavy use. To say that EVERY idevice is going to be throttle is false, and you come off like a fanboy.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You remind me of my uncle and his love for iphones. He always buys flagship phones from Samsung and from 2 years or so, he switched to iphone 6,6plus and then 7 plus and he has similar views like yours.
    Atleast you know its time to replace the battery on android phones.
    Like you said you were lucky. Who knows X will be throttled or not since it will be older when XI comes out.

Papusan, hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple is slowing down your iPhone - WAN Show Dec. 22 2017
    03:15 Apple slowing down older iPhones

Vasudev likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple Sued After It Admits To Slowing Down Older IPhones
    December 24, 2017, 11:11:00 PM EDT By RTT News
    http://www.nasdaq.com/article/apple...-to-slowing-down-older-iphones-20171224-00011

"(RTTNews.com) - A lawsuit has been filed against Apple Inc. (AAPL ) after the tech giant admitted to purposefully slowing down older iPhone models in order to prolong the life of the devices.

Apple said last Wednesday that it does take some measures to reduce power demands and keep the devices running at optimal performance if there is an older battery that has a lower battery charge.

Apple noted that lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, causing the device to unexpectedly shut down to protect its electronic components.

However, two California residents, Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas, have brought a class action lawsuit in California against Apple. The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the central district of California.

The plaintiffs said that they have noted that their older iPhone models slow down when new models come out. They also said that Apple never requested consent, nor did they give consent to slow down their iPhones.

The plaintiffs alleged that they "suffered interferences to their iPhone usage due to the intentional slowdowns" caused by Apple.

They are seeking damages from Apple as the company's wrongful actions caused them to suffer economic damages and other harm for which they are entitled to compensation.

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com

http://www.rttnews.com "

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    What if you replace the battery? Does the older phone start working properly again?

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    nope, because this is just an excuse. You and I know that they are doing this on purpose to push people to upgrade

Vasudev, ronaldheld and hmscott like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will give you the REAL answer. Yes your device works as new again. After your device sees proper battery voltages etc, it will return as it should.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know when it's time to replace the battery on my iphone too. At least I can still make it through a day without having to charge 6 times like my android phones when their batteries wear out.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    So how much does it cost to get an iphone battery replaced.

John.