Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Tinderbox (UK), Dec 19, 2017.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Re-opening this thread, threads close automatically after 1 year of inactivity.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apple is as shady as they come. Can’t wait to pay off my tab and move to android.

Kyle likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It’s cheaper buy a battery:D Use what you have as long you can and don’t let them get more of your money (Apple or android doesn’t matter). People should stop upgrading to new phones each 1, 2 or 3rd year. Only massive decline in sales will push a change. Today’s phones is good enough for long time.

hmscott likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree, iphones are very good at return on investment. My battery is fine. In another day or so it will be back to normal. I hate them as a company, and their shady backhanded bull they do, but the iphone is the best overall phone out there as much as it pains me to say those words.

Papusan likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an iPhone 4s. Battery is easy to change and size is just right for the pocket. Audio performance for music is superb.

That was fast as lightning but Apple throttled the hell out of it. Finding a high-quality replacement battery at a decent price is a bit challenging. Any recommendations?

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try Nohon Max battery.
    My Mom's iphone 7 needs battery replaced. I was looking to buy Apple battery but Nohon max battery looks superior thanks to latest battery tech. iOS 13.3.1 is taking hell lot of battery, I thought of buying iphone 11 pro or max model but mom said I'm fine with current one.

Papusan, hmscott and pressing like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Apple Has Agreed to Pay $500 Million to Settle the iPhone Battery Throttling Lawsuit in the U.S. wccftech.com | Today

The batterygate controversy is about to be resolved it seems. To recap, it was discovered in 2017 that Apple limited processor speeds as the iPhone batteries aged. The Cupertino giant claimed that the motive behind the step was to prevent sudden shut downs, but received flak for keeping mum about the existence of the feature. Many filed class-action lawsuits, which were combined into one complaint in 2018. Now, the iPhone battery throttling lawsuit has reached its climax, as Apple has seemingly decided to settle things.

As a result, the current and previous American owners of the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and SE running iOS 10.2.1 or later would receive between $25-$500. The lawyers representing the affected parties have deemed the settlement fair and adequate. Just because Apple has agreed to settle doesn’t mean the company has admitted to foul play.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You Probably Won’t Get $25 From Apple’s iPhone Throttling Settlement Howtogeek | Today

As usual with these settlements, you’ll read a lot online about how Apple will pay you $25 per device. That’s already actually pretty low if you bought a new iPhone to replace an existing iPhone that mysteriously stopped performing well. But you’re not likely to even get that $25.

Read the fine print, per Bloomberg Law:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Kyle and Vasudev like this.
  9. Soulv

Soulv Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not even surprised but I always thought it's because of iOS updates. Somehow I haven't noticed my SE get any slower though.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My 6s still skips along perfectly too.