Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Tinderbox (UK), Dec 19, 2017.

1. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I do like it's simplicity, despite having gone to the more open Android, I occasionally miss it.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use Windows Mobile and take care of Androids and iphone at home. Only downside on my phone is I run out of phone memory every now and then.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was a windows mobile fan. However the phone ran out of support and most everything else from MS so I moved to IOS. Has been great ever since.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You said that already you need iphone apps for banking & other stuffs. Only thing stopping me from buying android is they're quite bigger than iphone 4.7". I really prefer that size and I am very comfortable using it.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Meanwhile on iOS 11.3 beta, still no throttle disable feature or battery information from the OS. Hmm....strongly considering moving to android for several reasons:
    1. iTunes is cancer
    2. No more headphone jack.
    3. Apple clamping down is hardware and forcing obsolescence in the form of blocking any downgrading to a usable firmware (have you tried an iPhone 5S on iOS 11?)
    4. Lightning cables that die for no reason.
    5. No expandable storage

Things keeping me on the iPhone platform:
    1. Strongest processor and camera, easily beats any android phone out there.
    2. iOS is a more secure platform than Android
    3. In some rare emergency that I need to have my hardware repaired and it's a job beyond my doing, there is an apple retail store near me.

I don't know where I will be going post March 2018. My iPhone SE will turn 2 years old by then, I will have to assess replacing the battery and keeping it another two years or sell it and move to a different phone.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Try MS Pix app and I liked it very much than Stock Apple Camera app.
    As for security, it depends on user.
    Apple will not put effort into creating Headphone jack and we must carry a adapter everytime.
    You can wait for new SE models or Iphone X inspired bezel-less phones.
    Android now goes to neck-neck right now. Only downside to android is updates are carrier blocked sometimes unless you have Android One or Google phones.

7. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Android performance is what bothers me. A11 destroys anything Samsung or Qualcomm can put out, and I think this gap will widen even further with the A12 processor. I think most of the Android manufacturers will also be going headphone jackless in the next iteration of phones, except maybe Sony, who frankly is the only android phone manufacturer I would ever consider. Stylish, high performance, low level of bloatware, lightly skinned android system, and they actually stay on top of the updates.

For all those interested, you can download iOS 11.3 beta 2 profile to get the IPSW over the air and update, it introduces the battery health beta feature. According to that, my iPhone SE battery retains 90% of its original capacity almost 2 years since it was produced, which is fairly amazing. That being said, I'm not very much of a phone user outside of calling, texting, occasional photo taking, or light internet browsing. No games, no snapchat, no bg app refresh, etc.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't use an iphone nor android. I just manage my mom's and dad's iphone and S7.
    Consider rooting Android, I just root and installed Lineage14.1 on 3 yr old phone and UI feels on par with iphone 7 and trumps s7 only with 1GB RAM and 8GB phone memory.
    I saw 3% wear on new iphone 7 after draining it to 0% just once.
    EDIT: I thought Sony xperia had most bloatwares with KDE like heavy resource hungry UI.
    If your workflow is similar you will enjoy android as well.
    As a testing measure, grab some cheap Samsung android phone and ask @Raiderman and @ajc9988 for rooting android phones since they're much knowledgeable than me.
    Although I prefer Samsung because it has lot of aftermarket support in terms of driver, easy root process using Odin and most of them prefer Samsung Or Xiaomi or Oneplus or others.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. ronaldheld

ronaldheld Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    have to check out the battery info on 11.3 beta 2.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hopefully they handle it better than Apple did. I want physical connections to end, but forcing it without a solid alternative is not the way to do it.

Vasudev likes this.