Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Tinderbox (UK), Dec 19, 2017.

1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/19/apple-iphone-reduce-speed-old-batteries

John.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not really sure how I feel about this honestly.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    That's...creepy.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Classical Apple Swiss cheese to force sheeple to upgrade. Happened to me when I had my iPhone 4S, it updated to iOS 8 and the phone became slow as heck and the battery was horrible. Then it also happened to my wife's iPhone 6 so she upgrade to the iPhone 7

vacationtime and Vasudev like this.
  6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I mean - I can sort of understand the logic behind it - if your battery is at 80% wear level - downclocking and undervolting may improve runtimes somewhat but would it be enough is the question. I honestly think that people should just replace the battery rather than be forced to use a slow device.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    oh no I know my battery, it was a wide spread issue across the forums at the time. They did it on purpose and the phone became super laggy to the point you hated it and wanted to throw it and buy a new one.

Samsung did the same thing with my Note 4, upgraded to Lollipop and the battery life dropped from an easy 2 day to a max of 1 day with the same apps/same usage and that was a brand new 1 month old phone. Yes I could manually downgrade to KitKat but the nags to upgrade would never stop bugging you

Vasudev and don_svetlio like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, first off. It's not to "make people upgrade". It's to conserve battery life so the devices gets reasonable battery time. My old ipad 2 is suffering from a crappy battery and the performance of the device is suffering. However, I can still sit and read and surf for 6 hrs or so on it. I am waiting for the new battery to arrive to get it fixed. If they never did this...my old ipad would last like 30 min. So...NO, it's not some big apple conspiracy to make people upgrade etc. It's conserving battery time while being used. I think it's smart. You would want to upgrade much faster if your device just died every 30 min - 1 hr. Actually my 3 old galaxies were like that. And they were less than a year old.

My iphone 6s is running 11.2. It's just as fast as it always was. I had 2 days of glitchy call use but it has smoothed out again now and everything is fine. I just hope that my essential does the same thing when the battery starts to wear. If not...it will be tossed in the junk drawer if I have to charge every couple of hours.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    There are two separate issues. First is the software patch itself, which may have a fair justification. But then there's the part where they don't tell you that they're doing it, even if you come into an Apple store to complain about performance issues. Which is a real problem.

If they had a disclaimer somewhere "performance has been throttled due to the age of your battery to prevent the risk of sudden shutdowns. Have your battery replaced for $80 to restore full performance," this wouldn't bother me. But this was being used to push people into buying new $1000 phones instead.

Mr. Fox, Vasudev, killkenny1 and 2 others like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Apple should have been upfront about this from the beginning, if this "wide spread slowdown" were "real" and really needed to be applied globally to "previous generation" model phones, whether they were sold 1 year ago or just yesterday - they all get slowed down - that's baloney.

Battery aging is a known thing, and not detrimental to performance as a wide-spread thing, this "slowdown" doesn't need to be applied to every phone / tablet.

There should be a visible section in Settings that addresses this issue, and gives the owner an option to enable a "slowdown" to preserve battery or leave things as they are running as fast as normal.

In fact this could be rolled up into the normal battery saving options. For Samsung S7 Edge there is a High Performance (10% OC!!) option, along with 3 levels of battery savings (normal, savings, superduper savings).

I think Apple made up a bunch of baloney to cover their butt's after getting caught slowing down the previous generation devices to generate upgrade sales.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017