Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display First Look Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by J.R. Nelson, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R. Nelson

J.R. Nelson Minister of Awesome

Reputations:
  2. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    looking forward to the full review.

3. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same. Can't wait for the full review.

Looks like THE laptop to get as long as you don't mind the loss of upgradability, and the price.

4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I find it odd that a company which has built a reputation for long-lasting laptops with great resale value is now making them essentially disposable. I don't think most people who buy the MBP-R will truly understand the compromises they are making. I know they beta-tested this whole idea with the MBA, but those haven't been around long enough for many people to experience the expiration date.

5. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you elaborate? I have no idea how this upgrade makes this laptop disposable...

6. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think he means the non-user-serviceability.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Exactly. One problem is the lack of upgradeability. You may be ok with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD right now but if your opinion changes down the road - > you are boned. Even @ 16GB RAM and 768GB SSD, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing there's no way to add those in the future.

Another serious problem is that if any of the internal components ever fail - the system is dead irreversibly. With CPU/GPU/RAM/etc soldered into the mobo, the risk of bricking is multiplied manifold. One smart guy said, he's replacing his ipad with retina mbp and that's exactly the purpose for the new machine, IMHO. It can't replace an all in one mobile workstation. Those who need a business machine may find this new toy way out of the league especially if you consider that for 2.5k (retina MBP with average specs) one can get 2x power and 3 year of next business day support.

8. Maelwys

Maelwys Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I disagree with this in part. The MBPR is the only machine you can currently buy in this form factor (weight, screen size, and thickness) that packs as much power as it does. No other company has a laptop that compares. Off the top of my head, the closest I can think of is the Sony S13/S15, which cost about as much when spec'd out similarly. Granted, this is achievable in the Mac largely due to what you already pointed out: nothing in the machine is user replaceable or upgradeable. But I bet these will hold their resale just like other MBPs, so if you find that what you bought doesn't suit, I'm betting you'll be able to replace it pretty easily down the road.

Now if only Apple Care provided NBD repair, these might truly become business class machines.

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Well, if you stress the form factor - I agree. But I meant the screen size category only. Since the machine is in the 15" realm, would you still buy it if it was 1cm thicker and 0.5kg heavier? ;) That's my point, I don't care if it's 2.2k, 2.6k or 3kg. Same goes for thickness - anything under 4cm is fine with me. You wouldn't believe how many people bring 17"/4-5kg machines to work on a daily basis these days. So, if you go by screen category, there are plenty of laptops out there that can beat RMBP in almost every aspect except for screen res. But yeah, if you say "1.8cm + 2.2kg is the bar" - then I agree with you. However, the thinness has it's compromises, I'd like to see the temps and clocks on the CPU/GPU/surface when under continuous and significant load like video encoding, gaming, etc.

10. Jufluco

Jufluco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Lazy and just used bold in the quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.