1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Apple MacBook Pro Laptop with Intel Core Duo Available (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oresund

oresund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When will Apple be smart enough to produce a designed laptop for windows OS ? Just imagine how much additional business they would gain !

I would never buy an Mac OS based unit due to lack of available software.

2. jsis

jsis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How many games in the Mac vs. games that are optimized for Windows? In addition, sooner or later, that GPU will appear on Windows based notebooks.

The built-in camera is already appearing on Windows mid-size notebooks. Just look at the Sony FJ and SZ, in addition to some notebooks from ASUS and Acer.

The IR remote? How far do you really need to sit to enjoy looking at a 15.4" display? Are we getting lazier these days to reach the keyboard?

FrontRow is just Apple's version of the VAIO Zone and Windows MCE GUI, without the PVR capabilities. Windows has already that capability.

I have to admit that the only innovative thing Apple has done is the build quality and backlit keyboard. But that's probably it.

3. shomann

shomann Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not really arguing innovation and the like (though I could, historically), I am just arguing what you get for the price-point. I should have been more clear about that, sorry.

I did a little quick research about the other Duo notebooks that are available and see prices in the same range as the Apple offerings.

As far as the gaming capabilities under OS X, I don't really give a crap. If* that notebook can boot into Windows I wouldn't care about ever owning a Mac specfic game. I could have my professional portable under OS X, and my fun OS under.

*I know that's a BIG IF.

4. shomann

Reputations:
    Just a question, and I am not trying to start an argument, but what software are you talking about? The holes in Mac software have been alot smaller since OS X took hold (lots of cleaver *Nix developers out there, god love 'em). I will admit that as far as gaming goes, Windows holds the crown and probably will until consoles take over (if ever). Accounting software is a little weak as well, but unless there is a specfic software package that is designed for custom hardware, I think you would find the Mac waters warm indeed.

5. jjfcpa

jjfcpa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With only 3% market share in the PC world, I would think Apple would jump into the fray with Dell and the likes and make it easy to install Windows. I for one would buy one right now if I could run Windows on it. Apple hardware just seems to be better designed and engineered than the other vendors.

6. lazybum131

lazybum131 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The fact is there's no 15.4" laptop that's been announced that is as powerful in such a light and small/thin package. Apple is certainly justified to charge a premium for that. What's the closest thing? THe Acer TM8204 is a bit more powerful, but it's heavier by a pound and thicker. And if I'm not mistaken, the MSRP is pretty close to this MacBook too. Acer with better specs, Apple with the sleeker design.

The only negatives I see about it are I'd rather see a WSXGA+ screen and the battery has only a 60WHr capacity and it doesn't look to have any room for an extended battery or modular bay battery.

7. seba_veron

seba_veron Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Erm: Apple maxed out is around $3k with 7k100 and 1.8 core duo. The acer is $2.5k with 5k100 and 2 core duo.

The 8200 is better value for money in my opinion and 4 hr battery. Notice that battery life isnt mentioned - there is a reason for this (its crap)!!!!

Anyway, whats the point of an x1600 if your never going to utilise it on an apple due to no/very few games!!!! Apple die hards should stick that in their pipe and smoke it!!

8. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
    hey now, let's all be nice.

I'm a PC user and don't have much use for a Mac OS X based machine due to the fact the applications I need to use aren't available on the platform, but the hardware and quality is very compelling especially now that they've caught up in the performance arena. I'm just going to see how things pan out with the use of Windows on the MacBook, let others report how easy/hard it is and what the compromises are before jumping in myself.

Although Apple would never come out and endorse or provide an easy way to run Windows on this machine, I know there'd be a pretty big market for such a machine. When I worked in a college computer lab we had to buy Mac machines for all the biology and art students and of course PCs/Unix for all the mathematics and engineering majors. Now, if the purchase of one type of machine that ran two OS's were available I'm sure education market buyers and others would look to that type of solution (although not in a laptop form, they'd be too easily stolen from a university computer lab).

9. agent_graves

agent_graves Newbie

Reputations:
    games? the X1600 isn't there for games, it's for stuff like Aperture, Final Cut, iMovie/iDVD and Photoshop.

10. fuyuki

fuyuki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The $2499 one has nice specs. I might just get one if i have a very good budget.

11. shomann

Reputations:

This whole Mac/PC hardware debate is over, they are the SAME hardware. IF these new MacBook Pros can boot Windows, they will be able to install and run all the games you can under Windows, with the same speed as they could on Acer, Dell, Gateway, etc.

That said, lets say Apple came up with a novel way of keeping Windows off their shiny new hardware. That X1600 is still going to help drive Core Image services in the Mac itself to provide real time effects to all the image and video processing. HD playback will be available and oh, by the way, those dual-DVI links start making sense. This is a professional machine through and through.

BTW, do we have any lab tests of the Acer battery system vs. the MacBook? No? Didn't think so. Until we do, no wild speculations. All we can all do is guess and run pricing and numbers against each other.

Sorry, just years of frustration built up here. Just please leave old prejudices at the door, OK? I work with both systems day in, day out as I have for 12 years. I am very happy this came to fruition sooner rather than later. Now everyone can choose the OS they want without worrying about loss of performance/workflow.

12. shomann

Reputations:
    Amen brother. You said it much more brief than I did.:D

13. klas

klas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :apple:

I was more curious about this big IF than anything else right now. However, lets just think about it for a second... What's the advantage for Apple to allow Windows installation on their hardware? More hardware sales? I don't think so. They are not making the hardware, Asus or other ODM does, so they are not profiting a lot of money on that. They do, however, make money by installing Tiger OS on it, so if they allow easy windows installation they would be losing money, because they won’t be able to sell you other software. So, the question still stays unanswered about possibility to have windows installed, but I think we can safely assume that even if it's possible to run Windows you will need to perform some kind of hacking to get it up and running.

Also, just to throw in here. If they were thinking about PC users they would probably make 2 buttons, No?

:apple2:

14. fuyuki

Reputations:
    just wait for the notebook to release and ppl to test it out. I'm sure we would know in a few months

15. shomann

Reputations:
    Me too. We shouldn't have to wait long. The new iMac, which is supposedly available now, has VERY similar specs. I guess that within a week there will be someone that can answer this dual-boot question with first-hand knowledge.

16. klas

klas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1 mouse button is a huge problem I think, so the only solution I see is to add a shortcut Ctrl + MouseClick for instance to substitute that

17. fuyuki

Reputations:
    lol, it look me about few days to get used to using one mouse button for apple computer and took me another week to learn how to use right click. lol

i don't think its a huge problem. Once u get used to it, its like using standard mouse.

18. jsis

jsis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also heard a speculation that the superdrive does NOT burn dual-layer DVD.

Can somebody confirm this?

19. klas

klas Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    on apple site it does not state that it's a dual or single, so no one can tell you unless you call them up to confirm. Although, I don't think it's a big deal, regular burners will be obsolete pretty soon. Hello, HD-DVD & BluRay

20. ogando_jose

ogando_jose Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol i still have got a cd-rw only and i don't think is that obsolete...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.