Apple MacBook Pro Laptop with Intel Core Duo Available (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AuroraS

AuroraS Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Finally...the highly anticipated "MacIntel" shows its face. It certainly appears impressive...

2. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hmmm, I wonder who is the ODM indeed...

3. ceiph

ceiph Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    asus makes all macs i belive

4. LeonX

LeonX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I am kinda disappointed. I was hoping for a stylish 12" or 13" MacBook which would be fast and fourious (and light of course) running OS X (and for some necessary tasks Win XP programs) - but here again: a 15"-model like everyone else in the same old design. Well I like it or better: I liked it - but it's time for a modest change, isnt it? By the way why are they using notebook processors in their desktops? Arent there cheaper and more powerful dual-core processors from Intel available? Or is it to fix the heat issue. (Bring three IMac G5 together in a small room and you will see and hear what I mean!). I sorry to say that (and I am not a big Sony fan, since they have a terrible service and are way to expensive) but this January the innovation-award goes to Sony. Look at their recently announced sz-series (LED backlight to save power, carbon fibre case to save weight and a quite good design).

5. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think this is pretty cool and I'm about as anti-Mac as you can get. The price is too high, but what can you expect. I think this is just the first salvo, they'll push core duo into smaller notebooks soon enough.

6. ivoloos

ivoloos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Looks well.

7. jsis

jsis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really hot? Barely. For that price range you expect an integrated multi-format card reader, a glossy display, PVR capability, and a standard PC card slot. Same terrible wireless reception due to the aluminum chasis. Also, they moved the wireless antenna from the LCD lid to the hinge for an even more terrible wireless reception.

This is not a revolutionary product. Intel on a mac is to be expected, and it's a shame that they can't compete features with equivalent 15.4" notebooks for much less.

8. shomann

shomann Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They are the new Intel Duo procesors at 1.63GHz and 1.83Ghz per processor, with a 667MHz frontside bus, so yeah, they will be faster than any Powerbook ever made by a WIDE margin. :D

As far as the dual (or triple) boot possibilities, I think we will have to wait and see. I am curious if these new Macs will have a custom BIOS altogether, or some version of the current Open Firmware. The hardware is likely not far different in the new Intel-capable iMacs, which are supposedly available now - so it won't be long before we will know the answer.

I did find this little snippet from Macintouch.com (a very well-respected Mac news/tips site):

"We asked an Apple representative about booting Windows on Apple's new Intel Macs, and this was the reply: "Probably you could boot Windows, but we don't support that."

I am severely geeked about this. If the MacBook Pro can boot OS X AND Windows, I am THERE!!!

9. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, it does seem pretty slim. And it has dual dvi out (i think one is plenty but macs have those big screens, i don't know why i'd need a laptop to hook it to that though). Did they move to the two button mouse yet? Besides that, not much else.

10. shomann

shomann Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you taking into account the X1600 ATI GPU? The built-in camera? The IR Remote? Backlit, ambient light keyboard? I think that when the dust settles, you will see that the MacBook Pro is only a little more expensive than the Wintel laptops.

You may be right about the wireless though, those metal covered laptops seem to have alot range than plastic/composite laptops - but I wouldn't go so far as to say "crappy"

However, if OS X can be made to boot into alien hardware (or vice-versa), then I am all for the BEST option out there.