1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Apple MacBook Air Announced at MacWorld '08

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liyang6688

liyang6688 Notebook Guru

It seem perfect,however I suspect it thin battery could support this powerfull laptop 5hours.And unchangable battery,also,need you do charge that after use up.Personally,I think take DELL or Thinkpad,which more weight than this one,could help me lose weight.~~~haaaaa

2. tamal

tamal Notebook Enthusiast

Apple, the trendsetter, took right decision by NOT including any DVD/HD drive. Jobs foreseeing a WiMax revolution in 2008 and thereafter. Renting HD movie just $4.99!!! WOW! Who needs a DVD player to watch movie?

We may not need more than 1 USB port as most next-gen devices gonna exploit wireless (wifi/wimax/bluetooth/...) technologies. Just 1 USB for backward compatibility...I guess!

I also liked the new location map application (Google Maps) in iPhone. Just awesome!! Waiting for iPhone SDK...

3. duffyanneal

duffyanneal Notebook Deity

FUD - Fear Uncertainty Doubt

Now show me where I wrote FUD?

The Japanese buying public has traditionally shown that they love small gadgets and in particular small notebooks. They also value good aesthetics. I can't guarantee that the MBA will sell big in Japan no one can. I believe that the MBA will sell better than the traditional Apple notebook.

You ask me for proof? How about backing up the claim that the Japanese produce 1000x better products than Apple?

Technically, Japan doesn't produce a lot of the electronics it designs China and Taiwan do. If you take a look at Japan over the past few decades you'll see that Japan doesn't do much in the way creating new technology. They have a very good knack for improving existing technology. That isn't a knock on them, because they have single handily driven the world to improve product quality. Implementation of ideas from Taguchi was instrumental in saving American automobile manufacturers in the early 80's. Six sigma and quality control was first implemented and driven by the Japanese. We as a buying public can thank the Japanese for improving our lives and the items that we use on a daily basis. But I don't think that is what you were referring to.

Sorry that you think I am misinformed. I actually purchase ultraportable notebooks and use them on a daily basis. If anyone I think I have a pretty good grasp on how I interact with them.

4. stabile007

stabile007 Notebook Guru

Unfortuantly the MBA does not support WiMax (and I do believe you were being sarcastic in either case)

5. JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba ThinkPad Facilitator

I agree with you on your take on the Japanese market, but I do not think that the MBA is small enough (by far) to satisfy the needs of the many Japanese consumers looking for ultraportables. It is very thin yes, but I believe it will be much too big and thinness is not as important as width and length IMO. And I don't think the otherwise nice and stylish design is going to make up for the aforementioned.

Also look at ultraportables like the Panasonic Let's Note R-series (which you mentioned yourself) and W/T/Y-series which are selling very well in Japan. They come with small foot prints, thin bezels and low weight, but are quite thick.

6. duffyanneal

Yeah we're probably a several years away from having widespread WiMax coverage. Until then it's still WiFi and WWAN.

7. arch983

arch983 Notebook Consultant

I am truely surprised that not one of you people mentioned the great feat apple and intel over came when trying to make this computer as powerful as it is sexy. 1.6 to 1.8 core 2 duo chip with 800 mhz front side bus speed. this chip was custom built specifically for this notebook. took 2 years and 100 prototypes to go through to get this perfect specimen. Show me one ultraportable laptop that is as power full as this sucker and as thin.

Another fact for all who knock this down that you seem to missing is that it was meant to have a full sized screen and keyboard, hence that 13.3" Jobs did not want to take screen space from you and keyboard space. He wanted you to have a full fledged screen and fully blown keyboard, all at the same time making this thin as hell and light as hell.

By the way, this is an ultra portable, it is an ultraportable 13.3" laptop. For cryin out loud it slides into an envelope!!!! You can pick it up with two fingers. its under 4 pounds, to be exact its 3 pounds. IT IS AN ULTRA PORTABLE!!!!!!!

8. duffyanneal

You could be right. We'll have to wait and see. Looking at Job's track record it would be foolish to bet against him. The reality distortion field is strong with this one. :D

9. stabile007

stabile007 Notebook Guru

I find it amusing that for all the comments about how thin it is we are talking about slightly more then a 1/4" difference between it and the macbook and the macbook pros....or about the thickness of a CD case. I mean thinness is nice to a degree....but I would rather have hoped for a tablet being that thin....

10. duffyanneal

I was hoping for a 13" MBP preferably in black.

11. stabile007

stabile007 Notebook Guru

WiFi seems to have failed for any large area coverage. I mean look at all the city projects that have basically failed. I have no idea to the success or failures of WiMax I barely know what it is. It will be nice the day I can walk around and get the internet from anywehere though.

12. JabbaJabba

Indeed! The distortion field is off the charts :)

I was hoping for a 11" MBP with a thin bezel, MB keyboard and a maximum weight of 3 lbs. I got the weight, but on most other accounts I am quite disappointed.

13. ejl

ejl fudge

not to be offensive, but i think your analysis of the japanese market is somewhat flawed. it was definitely true in the past....but these days, it seems the japanese market (as well as the korean market) are more about having more features than just being thin. for example, look at the cell phone market, you don't see many japanese with tiny phones anymore but phones that have 5 mp cameras and video recorders that can do so many more things than your average american phone. hell, i bet they even have a function that gives a full body massage. anyway, although aesthetics are definitely important, i believe more emphasis has been shifted to functionality in the current asian market. it's kind of funny that i have relatives in asia that don't even have a bathtub, but they totally have dsl internet.

14. JabbaJabba

No offense taken. You may be right. I am referring to my own experiences with mostly business people in Tokyo and Osaka. Maybe the trend is going the other way in general, but I do know that most of my former Japanese colleagues still very much have a preference for ultraportables. As for the general consumer market, I am not sure which direction it is heading.

15. roor

roor Notebook Deity

its a toy, an expensive one.

16. roor

roor Notebook Deity

in weight it might be, but not size

but ultraportables have screens under 13"

17. hehe299792458

hehe299792458 Notebook Deity

I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but why doesn't the Macbook Air use LV cpu's? It is designed as an ultra-portable and it'd make sense to put a processor that fits. This would reduce the heat output (considering the thinness of the laptop, I high doubt there's much of an active cooling system) and extend the battery.

18. link1313

link1313 Notebook Virtuoso

Because apple wants to charge as much as they can without providing the specs to back it?

Just like the iPhone impressed the **** outta me but they cheaped out on the internal wireless and expected me not to notice :(

19. roor

roor Notebook Deity

maybe because it uses penryn, and there arent an lv chips of it yet

20. Redline

Redline Notebook Prophet NBR Reviewer

Heh, I think I know what it is :D It should be pretty friggin awesome, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.