1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Apple MacBook Air Announced at MacWorld '08

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukealexander

lukealexander Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    There are such a vast number of USB peripherals that many people (even newbies) are likely to own at least a couple.

Arch983: if what you say is true, why have Apple included an external display output? Surely this is an irrelevance? And as far as I am aware, does the Touch sync wirelessly with iTunes? I thought it still required the wire.

I am somewhat annoyed that people are hailing this device as some form of new paradigm in mobile computing when Sony did it years ago with essentially exactly the same idea, and Asus and Toshiba both have competitors. What exactly is special about this bar the fact it is a bit thinner and runs Mac OSX?
    I like Apple quite a bit, but to claim any product is perfect is naive and smacks of stupidity.

2. sko105

sko105 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    amen brother...

3. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    $129 battery with free instal. That seems OK.

4. Sub-D

Sub-D Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So these consumers (the very few that don't do their research nowadays) wander out to buy a computer. They've heard that Macs are more secure than PCs so they opt to buy a Mac. Off they trundle to John Lewis to have a look at the Macs. Here they see three.

1. The Macbook.

2. The Macbook Pro.

3. The Macbook Air.

And so the number game starts. What can I get that will provide me with the most bang for my buck? Heres a hint. A consumer following THIS pattern won't opt for option three. They either see 2. and realise they can get far better performance (because the numbers are so much bigger) for only a little bit more or they can opt for 1. and get better performance for far less than 3. The only people that will get option 3. are those that are horribly style conscious. I honestly can't see what market the MBA is aimed at.

5. darklich

darklich Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most people don't have the luxury of picking which notebook they want to take with them at any given time. The MBA runs agains the old saying "It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it." In the life of the MBA user, the later is going to be a common occruance.

I'd hate to work in an Apple store and have to keep repeating myself, "No, sorry, you can't do that"!

6. arch983

arch983 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if you hate it then why are you here?

7. Sub-D

Reputations:
    Yup, I want what I am writing my thesis paper on to be unpractical. Computers are supposed to be practical!

8. ByeXample

ByeXample Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    as far as i know N is backward compatible

9. arch983

arch983 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that is true. once i was at the store and i asked if there was a way to expand a given window to the full size of the screen with one click or tap instead of dragging it every time like an idiot and only being able to drag it from one corner making it even worse. and of course the answer was NO. then i asked well why do you guys always claim to be more user friendly when you can't even let me do something so bloody basic like that???!!!

10. Sub-D

Reputations:
    Yeah... The MBA ultraportable.... Like hell it is.