]]>

***Aorus X7 Pro owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by cookiesowns, Dec 15, 2014.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Comparing your brick-like GT62 with desktop cpu with the svelte X7 doesn't really make any sense.

2. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    View attachment 141296 Ok, here's another result from 3DMark 11 which I ran 'after' an Intel Chipset Driver Update to 10.1.1.38 and Intel Management Engine Driver Update to 11.6.0.1026, which had only just appeared on the Aorus Drivers Update panel (apprx. 30 Dec 2016).

Firestrike benchmark test result appear to have jumped a little when running another benchmark test after the updates, from 16265 Overall - 21406 Graphics to 16735 Overall - 21881 Graphics and another at 16837 Overall - 22060 Graphics. I'm not sure if this is as a result of the Intel chip driver updates or if some other factors like environment temperature and background processes.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11264011

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11264545

Firestrike Benchmark Ref/Description: Aorus (Gigabyte) X7 DT V6 CF1 Gaming Laptop One-click Overclock set to 4GHz GPU Overclock set to Level 4 ... After Intel Chipset Driver Update to 10.1.1.38 and Intel Management Engine Driver Update to 11.6.0.1026

At the bottom of this message is a link showing the measured & validated CPU score from CPU Z which reports a CPU frequency of 3807.41 MHz (38 * 100.29 MHz) - Uncore: 3811.1 MHz. This wax measured with the Aorus 'one-click' overclock set to the maximum 4GHz (of the 5 levels available, i.e. 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0). It can be seen the X7 clocking two levels below 4GHz at approx. 3.8GHz despite having set 4.0GHz in the Command & Control Overclock setting.

This overclock issue is about the only troubling issue for me, for what is otherwise an immensely impressive X7 Laptop incarnation. For most, the X7 DT V6 will not disappoint at all with it's shockingly striking slender design, form & function, features and the show stopping capable GTX 1080 desktop card stuffed within a physics defying 'svelte' enclosure that breezes through most all games you chuck at it using Very High to Ultra graphics settings with no problem over 1080p @ 60fps and scored an impressive Graphics section score of up to 22K+ on Firestrike (2nd link above).

Naturally, running higher resolutions at higher frame rates goes without saying that some graphical tweaks will be necessary and lets be honest if you want to output to an external 4K monitor then don't kid yourself as you'll really need a rig with dual Titan X Pascal (SLI) cards - I know as I was considering going for the Infin8 Meteor overclocked PC with Titan X Pascal SLI dual GPUs option fitted for capable 4K outputting in order to see fine clear detail of all those instrument panels in a PMDG Boeing 737 NGX aircraft running in Flight Simulator X (Steam Edition), but that will be for a later date as the cost was high.

For me at least, getting true 4GHz performance and not the reported 3.8GHz when having set 4GHz in the control panel (having not set 3.8) is something I feel needs addressing, especially for me when running CPU reliant FSX SE.

Bottom line; I whole heartedly recommend the X7 DT V6 unit all the same, it will not disappoint and will most likely impress in waves. Most games are heavily GPU reliant and a 0.2GHz CPU overclock deficiency is virtually unnoticeable with GPU reliant games which lets face it are nearly all games nowadays. Who knows maybe it's just my unit so the slight clock deficiency may not even exist on others.

CPU Z:-

http://valid.x86.fr/4cxkxq

Aorus_4GHz_overclock_feature.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Delete post please, wrong thread.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    knibbler likes this.
  5. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually your post was very relevant to this thread and you should copy it back in, It refers to the same exact serious issue regarding the pretend or falsely claimed 4GHz Overclock by Aorus.

Both units (your X5 V6 and my X7 DT V6) have the same unlocked i7 6820HK CPU and both units are stated by Aorus to easily Overclock to 4GHz with just one click; their webpage for the products even have a picture showing the Overclock feature (in a bar chart like graphic) showing the Overclock at approx. 4.1GHz, thus ensuring 4GHz with headroom to 4.1GHz. See below.

AorusX7DTv6overclock.jpg

6. jacktheripper.wang

jacktheripper.wang Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I noticed when I play CSGO (cpu intensive, gpu not so much), using default 4G oc, the cpu can only maintain @3.8Ghz. Is there anything that can be done to increase this limit?

7. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sadly no! It looks like false advertising on Gigabyte's part. I have been in (slow) communications with Aorus for the last couple of months trying to sort this rather important issue out, but it would appear they cannot fix the issue to ensure the unit overclock's to match the one click 4GHz Overclock claim. They did provide me with two different updated versions of Command & Control to 'test' which was downloaded via a special link they sent to me; the first one C&C v3.3.6 was useless making no difference over the current v3.2.2 and the second C&C v3.4.4 did raise the clock to 3.9GHz (minimum fluctuation around 3.9 and occasionally topping 3989MHz) but had some graphical glitches in the OC LAUNCHER drop-down Menu and stressing the CPU made other things unresponsive - the 'uncore' clock was exactly the same where usually I thought it was/should be 100 to 200 less than core's 0 to core 3, but I'm no expert. If it was proper and legit then they would release it through the default Aorus Drivers Update program, however it still didn't produce the claimed 4GHz Overclock in which their own graphical 'Bar Chart' diagrammatic depiction of it on the website implies approx. 4.1GHz to ensure producing 4GHz due to fluctuations (see diagram in previous post above). I think Aorus was trying it's luck with the alternate Command & Control versions they issued to me, likely from other Aorus systems/models as the CPU clock-dial actually went up to 5GHz within its range, but it begs the question why didn't they test this at their end on an X7 DT V6.

The 4GHz stated overclock was important to me because I expected it to live up to it's claim especially when the X7 DT V6 costs £3K. More so because despite many of todays AAA title games being more GPU dependant, older games and some games of today that are very number crunching intensive can be more CPU dependant such as MS Flight Simulator X, FSX SE, Prepar3D and in your case it would appear CSGO which is an older game; therefore the 4GHz overclock feature spec was one of the three main deciding factors for me to get the unit. Sadly more of a pretend overclock feature as the unit only clocks at 3.8GHz occasionally dropping to 3.7GHz - so when it is set to 4GHz in the C&C panel, it has a minimum clock at 3.7GHz and averaging at 3.8GHz. Disappointing!

I would have thought CSGO wouldn't be too taxing on the CPU though, maybe some other optimization issue or conflict somewhere?

The last support mail from Aorus had advised me to return the unit for a refund which implies they can't fix the issue to match their claim. I'm not exactly happy returning the unit because everything else about the Aorus X7 DT V6 is perfect and I cannot abide the thought of having some other alternative plasticky brick-like build quality laptop from another brand. The almost all metal, high build quality and very likeable appearance of the X7 DT V6 is second to none, so a mostly plastic brick alternative brand is out of the question and I may be forced to consider switching to a Desktop (metal build) PC tower, or wait until Aorus release the next X7 DT (maybe version 7?) and confirm with Aorus that they have no false or misleading advertising and claims.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  8. jacktheripper.wang

jacktheripper.wang Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Such a shame...It seems they have a BIOS update..not sure what that can do..I may give it a try sometime this week.

9. teabag

teabag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got an Aorus X7 V6 DT less then a week ago.

I love this laptop. The build quality is solid. The performance is blistering. Works perfectly with VR!

I can definitely notice the screen striping issue, but I can live with it. From a distance the screen looks very crisp and vibrant.

Although everything has been great, The laptop has already managed to die on me and come back to life after just a few days of use:

http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-laptops/support/42450-aorus-x7-v6-dt-dead-within-a-week

Also, does anyone know why the update centre is telling me that the version of the installed nVidia GeForce drivers on my laptop is higher then the available BETA drivers?

10. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Despite Overclock issue, I believe it to currently be the way gaming laptop on the planet when considering all things.

Regarding Graphics driver update; forget the version in the Drivers Update and just stick with the latest offerings in NVIDIA's GeForce Experience programs. You'll then always have the very latest version for the latest game releases.