]]>

***Aorus X7 Pro owner's lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by cookiesowns, Dec 15, 2014.

1. M0rdresh

M0rdresh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You cannot directly play non-VR games in stereoscopic 3D, however you can play them in 'virtual desktop mode'.
    These basically means you can play your regular games on a virtual 100 inch or 200 inch screen, it's quite the experience however of course but lower resolution than a 4K monitor for example.

2. Neil Patrick Faller

Neil Patrick Faller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if im playing at virtual desktop mode, is the game still support SLI? or it will use only 1?

3. Riddler

Riddler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm just about ready to for the x7-v6pc3k4d.. Would anyone have any laptop cooler base recommendations?

4. Neil Patrick Faller

Neil Patrick Faller Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im not sure if you still need cooler because x7v6 runs cool. It has 4 air intakes and if you check Dave2D in youtube review its getting around 70C cpu and gpu while gaming and overclocked which is very good for laptop thinness.

Riddler likes this.
  5. Entionz

Entionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all, definitely considering the new v6. How is the screen hinge strength? Does the screen easily wobble and teeter if a table is bumped? I'm used to the Asus g752 series strong and tight hinge as an example of comparison. Thing is rock solid and never moves. Any advice would be great!

6. Vandit

Vandit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will be selling my Aorus Pro-sync with dual 970m in SLI in a week or two when I receive my new Razer Blade Pro. Email me if interested. Will be priced to sell

Mail@calvinturner.com

7. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, have had the X7 DT V6 CF1 now for just over 2 weeks and is certainly there best unit to date.

It does indeed run cool. It certainly is impressive for a high-end gaming laptop and one that strikes the perfect 'ratio-balance' in my opinion between power, slimness, design appearance, ease of use and quality of material construction (being metal and not bendy, creaky, warpy, cheap nasty plastic).

There are a few minor points as well as many overwhelmingly good ones which I'll try and detail later.

However QA (Quality Assurance) standards maybe slipping slightly and in my case are questionable. Regrettably my unit appeared to slip past this processes with my unit having a small but subtle dent or indentation on the bottom/underside metal panel upon unboxing on arrival (notably, the box was sealed). Small detail I know, but for a £3,000 laptop; it's like say a Ferrari to cars and most would be troubled if they had a small dent on their Ferrari from new.

Likely this is a one off and others should be fine so, however if truth be known my previous (now gone) X7 Pro V3 had a small section of the Aorus Logo on the lid that somehow broke off straight after and I had then realised it was nothing but a sticky label (albeit a thick sticky label). On that occasion I had managed to arrange for Aorus to post to me a new label and much trouble and unnecessary upheaval was avoided as I simply replaced the label with the new one. But on this occasion and despite reporting the issue to Aorus straight away (with photos), they don't appear to want to help minimise the problem and avoid sending the unit back for an 'unnecessary' replacement of the whole unit or replacement of the panel where as sending/shipping out a replacement panel instead for me to change over, would avoid having to be without the laptop for sometime. Typically owners are allowed to remove and replace the back panel because owners are allowed to upgrade the HDD, SSD and or RAM without invalidating the warranty.

I even offered to 'pay' for a replacement new underside panel to be shipped out to me so that I can replace it myself without spending time without the unit and without having to re-setup and reinstall on the laptop. But still Aorus will not help.

((( Good and Bad points to follow )))

8. Entionz

Entionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking forward to reading all of your points. I've got the same model shipping to me sometime this week, I believe. That bites about the dent in the underside and Aorus' desire to have the unit back entirely instead of sending you the part, though. Hmm.

9. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok here are some of my views and opinions below regarding the X7 DT V6 CF1 (sorry for the delay). Sadly I don't get much time with my job, so gaming time is precious and viewing posts/threads can be occassional and therefore take some time.

My current thoughts after only one month are that it's undoubtably the best Aorus X7 gaming laptop yet and it certainly appears to deliver adequately in performance, design appearance and functionality. Naturaly it's to early to say how well it's long term reliability and durability will be, but judging on my previous X7 Pro V3 which performed admirably without issue which just seemed to go on and on with great reliability, hopefully the same should exist with the version 6 incarnation of X7.

I did some quick tests on 3D Mark 11 and received these results:-

Firestrike - 16040
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11068450

Firestrike Extreme - 6818
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11076411

Firestrike - 16265 (One-click Overclock set to 4GHz GPU Overclock set to Level 4)
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11067678

Firestrike Extreme - 9218 (One-click Overclock set to 4GHz GPU Overclock set to Level 4)
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11067767

The upper two slightly lower scores if I remember correctly, were done with the default setting within the Aorus Command & Control software where the GPU overclock is set to Level 2 by default (not Level 4) and the CPU is set to the highest at 4.0 by default (at least that is what the CPU was set to 'out of the box' when new if I remember correctly). So the only difference would appear to be that the GPU is set to Level 4 from 2 giving the slightly better results.

I think it might be better to give some Pros & Cons with slight explanations, at least for me it is, so these are as follows below:-

Pros

Beautiful legendary X7 design as always by Aorus and the X7 DT V6 is better still, looking meaner while still being timelessly sleek and very slim. I would go on a limb and say it's the best looking gaming laptop on the planet even though it's not all about the looks and is mostly about what's under the hood.

Fully metal all-over enclosure/shassis with exception of custom moulded-shaped legendary design rear vents. The bottom underside panel is also metal, unlike my older version 3 X7 Pro which appeared to be plastic on the bottom underside panel (can't speak for the models inbetween as I did not have these). Metal for me always wins over cheap nasty, bendy, creaky, twisty plastic that over time can warp and crack. Keep this up Aorus. Metal over plasticy enclosures is a win win for me and with their design and performance they certainly give MacBook Pro's not only a run for their money but leave them far behind!

The Power of the new X7 DT V6 for gaming certainly appears to tick the boxes with regard to the GTX 1080 inside. It's pretty much on par with my friends desktop PC also sporting a GTX 1080 with the exception of his overclocked CPU. Most games are GPU dependant so the X7 DT V6 performs very well and is doing so for me right now with games such as Battlefiled 1, Gears of War 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, TC's The Division, Homefront The Revolution, etc. all appearing to run very smoothly indeed with a mix of very high & Ultra graphics settings. Sometimes you'll have to byte the bullet and turn down resource hogging MSAA (type anti alaising) from 4x or 6x to a lower 2x, or better still change it to some other like FXAA which is good and ironically was developed under NVIDIA. The exception to high-end performance are games/sims like FSX, FSX SE, etc that are more critically CPU dependant and although FSX SE could run alot better with a desktop version CPU, at the same time it performs admirably well for a laptop unit. 3D Mark 11 Firestrike yields fairly decent results as shown above.

Surprisingly the X7 DT V6 appears to run fairly cool from the games I've played which include GPU intensive AAA titles and the GPU tends to run cooler than the CPU most of the time. Admittedly it's winter-time here in the UK as of writing this, so that will no doubt have some influence however the environment's central heating has been active. No doubt stress testing the X7 DT V6 may change this, but I have no desire to do that. Fans do not sound as loud or as high-pitched as my previous older X7 Pro V3 unit, but the noise is something that never bothered me personally and bizzarely I kinda though it was affirmation of the unit's raw power like the Space Shuttle taking off (can you imagine the Shuttle rocket launch being silent!)

The Aorus RGB Fusion Keyboard really is a fantastic addition and a joy to behold. It illuminates the colours on each key very well indeed, with consistent even glowing light accross the key's letter/symbol. The software appears straight forward with it's UI and although I have not delved deeper into it's slightly more advanced options, it certainly appears accessible.

Having the normally 'optional' AverMedia dedicated Capture Card already fitted in the X7 DT V6 from new, was a nice little surprise and greatly appreciated as the card is neigh on impossible to source and buy anywhere on the internet. Every bit of processing demand from non game.exe that can be freed up away from the CPU and/or GPU to leave more focus of CPU & GPU for game processing power is very welcome and beneficial. Thank you Aorus for including the capture card!

Bar the miniDP version, all I/O connections are very comprehensive and very welcome. HDMI 2.0 ensures smooth 60fps up to 4K and USB 3.1 (gen 2) is most welcome for faster data transfer should you need it. The connections cater for most of your needs and adequate for most applications. Maybe would have liked miniDP to be v1.4 instead of only v1.3 and USB 3.1 although great, Thunderbolt 2 especially Thunderbolt 3 capability would've been the icing on the cake regarding interfacing, flexibility and future profing.

Although this is a gaming laptop I've not actually used the built in screen much as I tend to have it hooked up 98% of the time to an external 42" LED display, so I can't comment too much on the display. However I like having a mobile gaming rig so that I can go mobile if I need to, transport it easily from one room or property easily if I need to, or just have it on the desk with external monitor if I require that - so you get the best of all worlds. Saying that, I did briefly try the built in display for gaming and it doesn't dissapoint and while the display doesn't exactly leap out at me in terms of combination mix of contrast, sharpnes, colours, it does appear to be a good quality display never the less and is very smooth with motion. NVIDIA have a truly great setting within their control panel that I've always used which ads vibrancy to the colours if they look a little pale or washed out and it does this in a way which is different to the regular colour saturation; it's NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust desktop colour settings > 'Digital vibrance', it's great for adding some life to the display and colours.

Cons

Not getting 4.0 GHz CPU clock speed, not ever. I've not witnessed nor recorded 4.0 GHz clock yet. Clicking the 4.0 GHz setting of the four CPU overclock speeds available (3.7GHz, 3.8GHz, 3.9GHz and 4.0GHz within the Aorus Command & Control) results in a constant clock speed fluctuating between apprx 3779 and 3859 and only peaking very seldomly to 3910 when worked hard such as in a Firestrike test. I've never recorded above 3910. Personally I would at best expect clicking the 4.0GHz overclock in the Command and Control to yield a minimum of 4.0GHz sustained clock or at the very least a fluctuating average hovering around 4.0GHz and not an occassional maximum peak hitting 4GHz (which I am not even getting that) and certainly not a very seldom/occassional peak that's maxing at approx nearly 0.1 below at 3.9GHz (3910 to be exact) - this I would expect if I clicked a lower overclock setting below 4GHz. This is important in my case as games/simulations such as FSX SE are slightly more CPU dependant as well as this feature being important regarding advertising and features by a company.

Ok, this one I kind'off expected because I could see from the design in the pictures before I even ordered it - it's obvious but can be easily overlooked and also depended upon wether the air was being blown 'out' or sucked 'in'. So I knew that those newly incorporated air vents on the top of the X7's base unit sitting just above the keyboard and being essential for extra cooling of the rather powerful desktop version GTX 1080 would naturally start to look discoloured once dust starts to accumulate. Sure enough these new vents are 'air intakes' and therefore they start to change appearance very quickly as the dust does indeed build up in the fine-mesh holes... Ok, there's actually another positive to this besides adding extra cooling to the GTX 1080 and I'm going to make you feel a lot better regarding the slightly unfortunate unsightly side-effect consequence; I had actually made myself feel a lot better by understanding that a hidden benefit is that these powerful visible air intakes being mounted on the top and just above the keyboard are serving to suck-in and thus divert all the fine dust that would otherwise fall straight into the keybaord crevices and would build up over time. So now as a result we may have a cleaner slightly more dust-free keyboard for longer - this last bit should therefore be a positive point.

Unless mistaken and as far as I know, the genuine desktop PC GTX 1080 GPU has the latest Display Port v1.4 fitted. However as far as I am informed, the GTX 1080 'DT' (desktop card version) within the Aorus X7 DT V6 apparently has the older Display Port (Mini DP variant compact connector type) that is only version 1.3 which I find disapointing. As some may know the Display Port/Mini Display Port interface is far more superior than HDMI in terms of video interface and it is the essential interface to use if you want to output 120Hz/144Hz refresh rates to 'external' displays with the newer Display Port version 1.4 being even more important for even higher resolutions at high refresh rates/variable refresh rates to 'external' displays. The PC Desktop version GTX 1080 has 1.4 and Aorus should have maintained this specification to keep it true to the desktop cards specs. Naturally if you do all your gaming mobile on the built in display, then this will not be a problem for you. But if you do both mobile and at home hooked to an external display and was hoping to maybe upgrade your external display for a high refresh rate/variable refresh display, then version 1.3 Display Port wil not be as powerful as the version 1.4 Display Port fitted on the true Destop GTX 1080 cards.

Although the having the Avermedia Digital Capture Card for such things as live game streaming and game recording is a most welcome surprise; sadly it can only muster 30fps at most higher resolutions and not 60fps (unless resolution and compression quality is low). This will leave many to switch the capture streaming software to use the GPU engine in order to get the more appreciated and more easy on the eye 1080p at 60fps broadcasts that are where its at. This kinda defeats the object of having a seperate hardware capture card for removing the load from the CPU or GPU. 30fps broadcasts are certainly watchable, but 60fps looks so good and natural.

Personally, to vastly compliment the GTX 1080 DT fitted inside, it would have been a natural progression if Aorus had gone all-out and fitted a desktop version CPU, i.e. i7 6700K slightly overclocked from stock 4GHz to 4.4GHz (4.6 if we're treated) and this for me would have justified the price of £3K more. Many would even spend a bit more if this had been the case, if driven to it then I would too for the bigger picture of performance gains. COnsequently I'm left thinking "If only" and "What a waisted opertunity". Having said that, this is still a very capable, mean and powerful machine... (but if only?)

Quality Assurance standards can be slightly questionable with Aorus having had a second unit with a small defect from new. This is the second time now. This X7 DT V6 CF1 unit had a small but subtle dent/indentation on the bottom underside metal panel. My previous X7 Pro V3 CF1 had a small section of the Aorus Logo label on the Lid that had come off. I would imagine and hope that not everyone will be as unfortunate as me because I'm assuming this type of thing to be rare, but being the second time for me makes me a little wary. Aorus could have really saved the day by offereing a replacement bottom panel for which I had provided the proof in photos and also offered to pay for the replacement panel myself.

Well that's it for now. I'm sure there's other points I may have forgotten to mention as there is so much to this rather impressive machine.

I hope the above is useful in some way.

Very interested to know what other users are experiencing for their overclock speeds if they have or when they get an X7 DT V6.., please share.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Narmer likes this.
  10. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I feel you ... i am getting 16k+ Firestrike score with 6700k (4.6Ghz) + 1070N... (the config from my signature costed me ~ 1800$ excluding the HDD)
    Firestrike - 16149
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/16977041